BW Heritage Working Boats

Liam

Featured Posts

I have been thinking, and wondering about the chances of making an offer and having it accepted by BW for one of their current (in service) historic heritage boats, especially they are going to be replaced with these new transportable pods. What do you think?

I have been thinking, and wondering about the chances of making an offer and having it accepted by BW for one of their current (in service) historic heritage boats, especially they are going to be replaced with these new transportable pods. What do you think?

Well you have youth on your side!

I'm not sure there is anyone in BW capable of making a decision on this at the moment. Of the boats withdrawn famously from the auction before last only 2 have found homes over a year later. A handful of others not on the original list have been "given" to museums or voluntary groups/schools.

BW are desperate to be seen to do the "right thing" but don't know what that is. Experience has shown that the boats that have fared better in preservation have been privately owned. I'm sure they'll come to their senses in time - but I couldn't wait that long!

Paul H

Edited by Paul H

I heard that in the auction a few boats were listed that shouldn't have been and were removed, but I didn't see exactly which ones they were.

But yeah, that was one of the first problems I could foresee, who would I need to get in touch with? I could phone customer services and ask for the right department but that would be like phoning an insurance call center and asking to be put through to the claims department! I think its quite a popular boat, a Star Class, Small Woolwich Motor, and I'm surprised it hasn't been snapped up before now by somebody who has a friend who has a friend etc. Maybe people have tried, and failed?

I could always try a "I know a song that'll get on your nerves" approach... as you say, I have the youth/time on my side! :o

I think the chances will be slim to none, sorry to dash any hopes. Unless you have a contact behind the welded (not rivetted) steel doors of the board.

Any genuine enquiry to purchase combined with proof of useage, workplan and funding, firstly has to land on the right desk to be considered. Then those within BW who understand these craft consulted. If they dont then pull the rug from under you and purchase them for a price never to be mentioned again, you can rest assure that the aging whispery beards and wire rimmed spectacles will then object. Mainly out of jealousy!!

Good luck!

You would find yourself very unpopular with some of the BW staff around here if you encouraged BW to take their 'real' boats away, they find them much more suitable for some work than the newfangled pods.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

You would find yourself very unpopular with some of the BW staff around here if you encouraged BW to take their 'real' boats away, they find them much more suitable for some work than the newfangled pods.

Tim

Funnily enough, it's around your area too, Tim! Although I would very much like to go ahead with it I think I will end up sitting back and see how things pan out. What I need to do is think with my head instead of my heart.

Does that mean that you advocate removing boats from doing a useful job for the waterways, into private hands?

Tim

Absolutely not.

If a boat is working, doing what its supposed to be doing, I'm all for it. I'd rather see them working than anything else.

However, if BW decide that they have reached the end of their usefullness (for what ever reason), their current position of only allowing them to only go to over suscribed museums (ie. too many projects and not enough cash) or well intentioned organisations (some with dubious funding and little idea of what they are getting in to) rather than private owners, does confuse me.

I'm also not knocking all museums and 'organisations'. They do good work. I also believe that there is room for the 'private' owner who can also give a lot in ensuring that these boats carry on in to the future.

I think it would be fair to say that there are some very well restored and operated boats in private hands.

Edited by I want a 'proper job'

BW don't have a good track record on this one. I can't think of any ex Grand Union steel boat that has been scrapped in private ownership. All of the 'missing' boats have been cut up by BW....... Some might argue that this has not been the case in many years, that these are more enlightened times. However, in recent years there have been plans by BW to plinth and landscape several historic boats. Check out the restoration of 'Sickle', rescued from certain death as a flower bed in the car park at Sawley. Clicky

There is at least one pair in the hands of a charitable trust who don't 'get' the terms, "Conserve and Restore" in their remit, most would say, the whole point of their existance..... ;)

Edited by Hairy-Neil

Absolutely not.

If a boat is working, doing what its supposed to be doing, I'm all for it. I'd rather see them working than anything else.

Liam was specifically asking about offering for a boat which is currently 'in service', and around here (we're both in the same area) there are several 'historic' boats which are in regular use and preferred by the staff to the modern replacements offered.

Tim

Liam was specifically asking about offering for a boat which is currently 'in service', and around here (we're both in the same area) there are several 'historic' boats which are in regular use and preferred by the staff to the modern replacements offered.

Tim

My fault for not reading the original post properly.

If a potential private owner can't get their hands on a 'de-commissioned' boat direct from BW, what chance does he have of getting an 'in-use' vessel!

Unless, of course, he knows the right people (nudge, nudge, wink, wink - I'll say no more). ;)

I belive that's not unheard off(?)

Just off to the Easter boat gathering at SB - hope the snow holds off for a while!

Edited by I want a 'proper job'

Just off to the Easter boat gathering at SB - hope the snow holds off for a while!

It was bitter there yesterday afternoon, ought to be a bit better today as the wind has dropped & the threatened snow didn't appear this morning.

Tim

It was bitter there yesterday afternoon, ought to be a bit better today as the wind has dropped & the threatened snow didn't appear this morning.

Tim

I should be so lucky!

In true Easter tradition, the snow came down thick and fast. It was quite picturesque (dodgy spelling?) though.

Still, had a great mooch.... Wall to wall National DM2's - flattened the batteries on the camera (although I think that was also due to the arctic conditions) and spent a lot of time talking to owners.

Top day!