Anyone used Rocksilk to insulate there boats??

davey74

Featured Posts

I currently have in my possession a nice pack of rocksilk insulation 100mm thick which i am thinkin about using to insulate our boat, what do people think???

Here are the details:-

Rocksilk Universal Slab

Multi-purpose rock mineral wool slabs for use in a variety of applications from domestic housing to building services and industrial process.

Description

Rocksilk Universal Slabs are unfaced rock mineral wool, multi-purpose slabs for use in a variety of applications including domestic housing, building services and industrial applications. Standard product is supplied unfaced, but it can also be manufactured with a factory applied foil or tissue facing and is available in water repellent grade.

Standards

Rocksilk Universal Slabs are non-combustible inorganic rock wool, defined as mineral wool in BS 3533: 1981 and is manufactured to a Quality Assurance system which complies with BS EN ISO 9001:2000.

Performance

Fire Performance … Rocksilk Universal Slabs are classified as non-combustible to BS 476: Part 4: 1970 (1984) and to Euroclass A1, Class 1 surface spread of flame to BS 476: Part 7 1997 and Class 'O' to the Building Regulations.

Permanence

Rocksilk Universal Slabs are odourless, non-hygroscopic, rot proof, do not sustain vermin and will not encourage the growth of fungi, mould or bacteria.

Moisture Resistance

Rocksilk Universal Slabs are non-wicking when tested to BS 2972: 1989: Section 12. When exposed to 90% relative humidity and 20°C, Rocksilk Universal Slabs absorb less than 0.004% of moisture.

Vapour Resistance

7.00MN.s/g.m

Operating Temperatures

Rocksilk Universal Slabs can be used up to continuous operating temperatures of 850°C.

Application

Rocksilk Universal Slabs are used for the thermal and acoustic insulation of buildings, building services and industrial applications.

Installation

For more information please click here to download to the appropriate Knauf Insulation Binder Section.

Good stuff - non-combustible so no fumes in a fire. Doesn't soak up water - it just runs off.

Downside - you need about twice the thickness compared with a foam product, to get the same insulation performance.

Ian

Ian, thanks for your responce, it does squash down & costs less than £20 for a pack that does 3.6sq mtrs, would you say the foam is still a better option?? plus you just pull the stuff out if need to get to things as where foam would need chiselling off maybe????

Dave

Edited by davey74

Ian, thanks for your responce, it does squash down & costs less than £20 for a pack that does 3.6sq mtrs, would you say the foam is still a better option?? plus you just pull the stuff out if need to get to things as where foam would need chiselling off maybe????

Dave

It sounds like ordinary rockwool to me - just in a more rigid slab form?

Rockwool is also non-combustible and won't soak up water, however it may allow the transmission of water vapour through to the hull where it can condense. If you do use rockwool then sheeting over it with thick polyethylene sheet is recommended to prevent the transmission of water vapour.

Also if you squash down rockwool you will reduce its thermal insulation performance.

All things taken into consideration, sprayfoam will always be the superior to rockwool, there's no doubt about that, but it's much more expensive and really needs to be applied professionally (although DIY kits are available it's a messy job).

I used two layers of thermawrap on Drifter. It's probably not as good as sprayfoam, but the boat is now warmer and drier than it was when it was lined with rockwool. It's £17 per 0.6x25m roll from Focus, but B&Q were doing a special offer on it before christmas.

I'm sliding a sheet of Thermawrap (General Purpose) behind all my radiators to make sure that the heat is radiated into the boat rather than into the cavity behind. I just slid a sheet behind until it hits the brackets - then pull it out and cut a slit at where each bracket has indented the edge. It's just hanging behind the rads not stuck to anything. Any views please?

http://www.thermawrap.co.uk/gp_wrap.html

Tescos are doing it now for £12.50 for a 7.5m roll.

Edited by blackrose

I'm sliding a sheet of Thermawrap (General Purpose) behind all my radiators to make sure that the heat is radiated into the boat rather than into the cavity behind. I just slid a sheet behind until it hits the brackets - then pull it out and cut a slit at where each bracket has indented the edge. It's just hanging behind the rads not stuck to anything. Any views please?

http://www.thermawrap.co.uk/gp_wrap.html

Tescos are doing it now for £12.50 for a 7.5m roll.

Thank u all for your opions & what yourselves are using, as i have 25mm polystrene in stock at work and also have the thermawrap, i will use both together, polystyrene faced with therma wrap!

Dave

Thank u all for your opions & what yourselves are using, as i have 25mm polystrene in stock at work and also have the thermawrap, i will use both together, polystyrene faced with therma wrap!

Dave

Sounds good. If you seal the seams between the sheets of thermawrap with the silver tape that goes with it you should be ok.