Life saving Equipment

Shamu1

Featured Posts

does anyone have any advice on a type of lifejacket that would be suitable for a young adult with cerebral palsy and is in a wheel chair can use. We are looking at the same type they use on lifeboats as they are not very bulky and have a harness fitted and are self inflating. If anyone has any knowledge of a type or make that would be suitable. :stop:

does anyone have any advice on a type of lifejacket that would be suitable for a young adult with cerebral palsy and is in a wheel chair can use. We are looking at the same type they use on lifeboats as they are not very bulky and have a harness fitted and are self inflating. If anyone has any knowledge of a type or make that would be suitable. :stop:

Have a look at the link below they aren't the cheapest but are the best used by the RNLI, MOD etc.

It might be worth asking their advice on choice.

http://www.crewsaver.co.uk/Crewsaver/Home/index.html

I would have thought any good quality proper Automatic Life Jacket (as opposed to a Buoyancy Aid) would do the job. They are designed to float an unconscious person so any disability the user might have would not have any bearing on it's operation.

I would have thought any good quality proper Automatic Life Jacket (as opposed to a Buoyancy Aid) would do the job. They are designed to float an unconscious person so any disability the user might have would not have any bearing on it's operation.

True, but Crewsaver are the best. Swmbo and I have manuals, my 5 year old has an automatic and youngest, 15 months, has a foam one.

All 150 Newtons, all Crewsavers.

The following buoyancy aid might also be of interest as it is specified for the disabled as well as able bodied.http://www.gb-sports.co.uk/polyotter.html#...Swimming_JacketHoward

" Adult's Swimming Jacket - Adult's Konfidence JacketImportant Note: This item is an adults swimming aid and NOT a life jacket or life saving device."

These aren't really suitable except as a training aid.

Edited by carlt

The following buoyancy aid might also be of interest as it is specified for the disabled as well as able bodied.

http://www.gb-sports.co.uk/polyotter.html#...Swimming_Jacket

Howard

Did you notice the bit in bright red where they point out that it's a swimming aid, not a life jacket (or a buoyancy aid for that matter)?

I'd suggest that a 150N (or 175N, as some companies seem to be moving to) life jacket with automatic activation and crotch/thigh straps would probably be the best option, Crewsaver have a good reputation, but other makes are available. If you do get an inflatable life jacket, then remember to get at least one re-arming pack at the same time, and don't whatever you do get one without crotch/thigh straps, as without them the life jacket is next to useless, especially for somebody without the co-ordination to keep hold of it until they're rescued.

A point about Life Jackets (the inflating May-West type) that may not be immediately obvious. Although they all look the same, there are manual and automatic inflation types. With a manual you have to reach down, grab handle and pull to inflate. This could be a problem if you are very frightened and confused, knocked unconscious, or simply not aware that this is how they work. The automatic type has a sensor that when it gets wet, it automatically inflates.

I have only once seen a Life Jacket do its job for real. A professional boatman on a Thames passenger boat went over the side in the dark, in a very strong current. Because he had an automatic inflator, he was on the surface almost instantly from where we could grab him out. If he had been wearing a manual I think he would have gone deep, been pushed under the boat. At that point the onus would have been on him to pull the rip cord and get back to the surface. Then in the dark, separated from the boat and on a strong current, it is hard to say how things would have developed.

A point about Life Jackets (the inflating May-West type) that may not be immediately obvious. Although they all look the same, there are manual and automatic inflation types. With a manual you have to reach down, grab handle and pull to inflate. This could be a problem if you are very frightened and confused, knocked unconscious, or simply not aware that this is how they work. The automatic type has a sensor that when it gets wet, it automatically inflates.

I have only once seen a Life Jacket do its job for real. A professional boatman on a Thames passenger boat went over the side in the dark, in a very strong current. Because he had an automatic inflator, he was on the surface almost instantly from where we could grab him out. If he had been wearing a manual I think he would have gone deep, been pushed under the boat. At that point the onus would have been on him to pull the rip cord and get back to the surface. Then in the dark, separated from the boat and on a strong current, it is hard to say how things would have developed.

As there is a delay on automatics (so they don't go off at the slightest splash), he may have gone deep, under the boat and then the life jacket activated. The bouyancy could then have trapped him under the boat. I like my destiny in my hands.

Since I was standing looking at him as it happened I can confirm that his hair hardly got wet. Getting under the boat was impossible.

I like to have my destiny in my own hands too. That is why I prepare my destiny in advance when considering a fall that rendered me unconscious. I would be fairly confident in saying that I have fallen in more rivers than anyone else on this forum and I can confirm that it is very difficult to line up a sequence of actions such as, reach for the toggle, find the toggle, pull the toggle. Been there, done that, dont recommend it.

Averaging ten times a year for the last thirty years - would that make me the most prolific swimmer on the forum?

:-)

Not swimmer, no, and it would depend on whether you mean accidental falling in or deliberately going in for pleasure (several times a day, most weekends, until a couple of years ago, and I would bet I'm not top of the list, either).

My advice to you is to speak to a local outdoor centre.

They have a wealth of knowledge in this field.

I used to take a young lad with CP canoeing a few years back and in the summer he liked nothing better

than floating in the shallows of the river (carefully supervised of course).

He had a buoyancy aid rather than a lifejacket, but we found that the top half of his body

was very heavy in relation to his legs (if that makes sense) and we experimented with different sizes of flotation to get it right.

I'd suggest that a 150N (or 175N, as some companies seem to be moving to) life jacket with automatic activation and crotch/thigh straps would probably be the best option, Crewsaver have a good reputation, but other makes are available. If you do get an inflatable life jacket, then remember to get at least one re-arming pack at the same time, and don't whatever you do get one without crotch/thigh straps, as without them the life jacket is next to useless, especially for somebody without the co-ordination to keep hold of it until they're rescued.

Yep, I recommend Crewsaver as well. Make sure it has a lifting/harness loop on the front - can make all the difference.

If your friend/relative/partner has CP, they may have a thickish or vulnerable neck. PBO did some tests on inflating jackets (getting people to wear them and jumping into a pool) and found a number compressed the neck to a near lethal extent.

From memory, Crewsaver scored well. I think I have the article at home, will try to look it up.

Although there may be nothing wrong in having a buoyancy aid as well as an approved lifejacket - buoyancy is buoyancy, after all, and its better to have some (any sort) than none...

... the really important point about an approved lifejacket (whether automatic or manual) is that it is designed to keep the wearer face up even when unconscious. A simple buoyancy aid can't do that except by good luck. Not very easy to breathe when you're face down in mucky water (or any water)!

Ian