14 day moorings

pip bourne

Featured Posts

we are planning on heading up the grand union at easter

going north can anyone tell us what the 14 day moorings

are like below or above the hatton locks help on this

would be appreaciated

At the top of Hatton are longterm moorings, there isn't even room to moor to visit the bW run cafe. But I believe there are 14 days beyong the bridge. Have you tried waterscape?

Sue

we are planning on heading up the grand union at easter going north can anyone tell us what the 14 day moorings are like below or above the hatton locks help on this would be appreaciated

Below the locks, the moorings opposite the Cape are good but it's often difficult to find any space there because most of them are occupied by permanent residents. I'm told the Saltisford Arm is good but I can't remember how long you can stay there.

I've never moored immediately above the locks, I'm always so relieved to have finished them that I carry on to the Tom o' the Wood instead.

Below the locks, the moorings opposite the Cape are good but it's often difficult to find any space there because most of them are occupied by permanent residents. I'm told the Saltisford Arm is good but I can't remember how long you can stay there.

I've never moored immediately above the locks, I'm always so relieved to have finished them that I carry on to the Tom o' the Wood instead.

We have quite often moored at the Tom O the wood. At one time it was really posh and called itself "The Wood". After a 41 lock day we showered and put posh clothes on went for some grub. Just as well we'd changed. Very up market, fantastic wine list, even better food (this was the era of the £12 omlette which involved crab amongst other things). Shame they only lasted 9 months before going bust as the food was superb and the wine even better and it wasn't silly money by our (London) standards. Stopped there last summer on the way back from our major trek and were a bit disappointed but only because it wasn't what we were expecting. The Tom O'the Woods (it's reverted to its old name) is still very nice but much more trad pub grub. I like the diversity of watering holes/eateries along the cut but variety is good and when you're either about to do Hatton and Stockton in the same day or visa versa you need an incentive.

D

would be appreaciated

We usually moor near Hatton Railway Station just before Bridge 56 which is about a mile west of Hatton top lock. There is steel piling near the house by the bridge and the canal here is normally deep enough for us to moor on the towpath. The close proximity of the station is handy if you need to get a train back to Warwick or Leamington.

would be appreaciated

Aha! Summit I can feel qualified to talk about! Brace yourself, I'm gonna talk you through pretty much all of them! :smiley_offtopic:

Above Hatton locks you can moor by the towpath for 14 days, near Bridge 55 (St Johns Bridge). It's a quiet if muddy towpath (just the occasional jogger in the morning), you can hear passing trains in the night but it's not too loud. The pheasant that enjoys daily sprinting along the towpath squarking at about 5am is something else though. Quite a few boats moor nearby, even if just on the opposite side (which I think are boat club moorings), if you like the impression that other boaters are around (they're not though - just empty boats!). Further down the towpath towards Hatton Top Lock are 48 hour moorings with rings, but they're hogged by the overstayers at least one of whom's small yappy dogs bite you if you walk past. :):lol:

Below Hatton locks you can moor for 14 days next to the little housing estate immediately below the bottom lock (just before Saltisford junction). That's a nice spot simply because you can easily walk in to Warwick town from there (Sainsburys 10mins walk away), and there's no "youths of today" around, and you're sheltered by trees from the houses there. There's metal siding so you can use a mooring ring and chain too. And the local buses to Leamington pass that way. We moored there a couple of times last year and it was fine. The Dun Cow pub is just a 5 min walk away and although not my favourite place in the world, has excellent live music every Saturday night. There can be some boaters and their nice doggies in there too, because the moorings of the Saltisford Canal Centre are on the opposite side of the road.

Round the corner from there on the Warwick-Napton branch of the GU, the towpath passes a small stables and the cemetery. There's a boat that always moors there (and it's a challenge to get a mooring pin in coz of the concrete siding!) because there's very close road access and parking (it's a dead-end road so no passing traffic). However the stables has German Shepherd dogs which bark all hours of the day and night and the place smells less than fragrant when the sun hits it! (We moored there for the parking access when we had our stove installed) Again only a few walkers use the towpath so barking aside, it's a quietish spot. Chap on t'other boat is very pleasant and quiet, but he does run his engine late with the prop turning. So don't moor too close to him unless you're near the front end or need the road access! :lol:

Just down from there below Bridge 50 is The Cape Of Good Hope pub and two locks. You can moor opposite the pub (this time of year Jake who works in the pub moors his boat immediately outside so you can't moor pub side) and there's a water point there. Pub is cozy and does great ale and feels very much like a locals pub, and a local boaters pub at that. They do food too which although isn't gastropub stylee (they're not afraid of a microwave) is homely and filling (sarnies are great too!) - although they've recently started finishing serving food earlier in the day (dunno if that's a staffing problem or because it's quieter this time of year). Even though I suspect it's 48 hour moorings along the canal opposite the pub, there's little left of any signage and boats tend to overstay - nobody seems to mind. (One has been there and empty for over a year!). But there's plenty of space this time of year (it fills up quick in the summer though). If you're unlucky, there'll be a tw*t mooring longterm and blocking the waterpoint. I find spilling water across their bow enlightens them against the error of their ways. :lol:

Further downhill, between lock 24 (Cape Bottom Lock) and the Coventry Road bridge at Kate Boats, it's 14 day mooring but using mooring pins as there's no metal siding, and we've seen several boats set adrift by the (presumably) kids from the neighbouring Woodloes Estate. Although it's not rough and I doubt you'd get a break in or anything like that, they're a pain in the a*se. It's also the closest place to moor for access to Warwick Hospital, gawd forbid someone aboard is unwell! Also, it's a short walk from there to the BP petrol station (2 mins) on the Coventry Road which has a small M&S food shop attached.

The rings opposite Kate Boats are 48 hour only. (Although we're broken down there at the moment so might see you if we're not repaired soon!) But again it's quiet there this time of year, and for some reason the kids who muck about with your mooring pins 20 yards further up, don't touch you if you're opposite Kate Boats (more boaters around there, I suppose).

Lastly, beyond Kate Boats and (eventually) Bridge 46 is a big 24 hour Tesco with it's own mooring. Again short stay, but I've seen the same boat there since the autumn. Still plenty of room though as he's moored right at one end.

And that in a rather large nutshell, is the moorings above and below Hatton Flight!

Fin.

Yes BD , I think it is necessary, people going there need to know they must not overstay.

If they do they may get a friendly word, or even a letter!.

They need to know they may be being watched.....

Believe me, I am not an idiot.

Call me Mrs Silly but if people don't overstay what's the problem? I like Hatton even if it is blooming hard work going up or down but I don't think much of the VM at the top of the flight. Best work on towards Rowington (turners green) which is really nice and then you are in a good place to start in the morning being almost at Kingswood junction. We also like the pub at the Cape and mooring there overnight is fine too. We've never stopped in Warwick or Leamington but we have had very good reports of the Salitisford Arm.

ATB

D

but we have had very good reports of the Salitisford Arm.

Mooring on the Saltisford Arm is handy if you need to leave your boat as there are plenty of other boats around and it is fenced off (but anyone can walk through the gates should they so desire). However it's free to moor for the first night only (£3 per night after that), and your boat may be moved around and breasted up with others if they're busy - which can make for noisy neighbours if you're unlucky. Also if they're busy and you only want to moor one night (eg. for free) they won't let you in! But if you want to stay for longer (and so pay) they can miraculously find you a space! Trains and traffic pass nearby, which doesn't make unbearable noise, but it's certainly not as quiet as mooring against the towpath below Hatton Bottom Lock just before the Saltisford junction.

They do, however, sell coal and have water and pump out facilities at Saltisford, and a small gift-shop-cum-chandlery, as well as a small laundry and rubbish point.

Above Hatton locks you can moor by the towpath for 14 days, near Bridge 55 (St Johns Bridge). It's a quiet if muddy towpath (just the occasional jogger in the morning), you can hear passing trains in the night but it's not too loud. The pheasant that enjoys daily sprinting along the towpath squarking at about 5am is something else though. Quite a few boats moor nearby, even if just on the opposite side (which I think are boat club moorings), if you like the impression that other boaters are around (they're not though - just empty boats!). Further down the towpath towards Hatton Top Lock are 48 hour moorings with rings, but they're hogged by the overstayers at least one of whom's small yappy dogs bite you if you walk past. :P:D

Walked past there on Saturday to find the small yappy Pappillons etc have been replaced by 2 pedigree Chows. Unlike the snappy yappies, they were tethered to a tree by a rope. So we didn't get chomped!

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Aha! Summit I can feel qualified to talk about! Brace yourself, I'm gonna talk you through pretty much all of them! :P

Above Hatton locks you can moor by the towpath for 14 days, near Bridge 55 (St Johns Bridge). It's a quiet if muddy towpath (just the occasional jogger in the morning), you can hear passing trains in the night but it's not too loud. The pheasant that enjoys daily sprinting along the towpath squarking at about 5am is something else though. Quite a few boats moor nearby, even if just on the opposite side (which I think are boat club moorings), if you like the impression that other boaters are around (they're not though - just empty boats!). Further down the towpath towards Hatton Top Lock are 48 hour moorings with rings, but they're hogged by the overstayers at least one of whom's small yappy dogs bite you if you walk past. :D:mellow:

Below Hatton locks you can moor for 14 days next to the little housing estate immediately below the bottom lock (just before Saltisford junction). That's a nice spot simply because you can easily walk in to Warwick town from there (Sainsburys 10mins walk away), and there's no "youths of today" around, and you're sheltered by trees from the houses there. There's metal siding so you can use a mooring ring and chain too. And the local buses to Leamington pass that way. We moored there a couple of times last year and it was fine. The Dun Cow pub is just a 5 min walk away and although not my favourite place in the world, has excellent live music every Saturday night. There can be some boaters and their nice doggies in there too, because the moorings of the Saltisford Canal Centre are on the opposite side of the road.

Round the corner from there on the Warwick-Napton branch of the GU, the towpath passes a small stables and the cemetery. There's a boat that always moors there (and it's a challenge to get a mooring pin in coz of the concrete siding!) because there's very close road access and parking (it's a dead-end road so no passing traffic). However the stables has German Shepherd dogs which bark all hours of the day and night and the place smells less than fragrant when the sun hits it! (We moored there for the parking access when we had our stove installed) Again only a few walkers use the towpath so barking aside, it's a quietish spot. Chap on t'other boat is very pleasant and quiet, but he does run his engine late with the prop turning. So don't moor too close to him unless you're near the front end or need the road access! :mellow:

Just down from there below Bridge 50 is The Cape Of Good Hope pub and two locks. You can moor opposite the pub (this time of year Jake who works in the pub moors his boat immediately outside so you can't moor pub side) and there's a water point there. Pub is cozy and does great ale and feels very much like a locals pub, and a local boaters pub at that. They do food too which although isn't gastropub stylee (they're not afraid of a microwave) is homely and filling (sarnies are great too!) - although they've recently started finishing serving food earlier in the day (dunno if that's a staffing problem or because it's quieter this time of year). Even though I suspect it's 48 hour moorings along the canal opposite the pub, there's little left of any signage and boats tend to overstay - nobody seems to mind. (One has been there and empty for over a year!). But there's plenty of space this time of year (it fills up quick in the summer though). If you're unlucky, there'll be a tw*t mooring longterm and blocking the waterpoint. I find spilling water across their bow enlightens them against the error of their ways. :D

Further downhill, between lock 24 (Cape Bottom Lock) and the Coventry Road bridge at Kate Boats, it's 14 day mooring but using mooring pins as there's no metal siding, and we've seen several boats set adrift by the (presumably) kids from the neighbouring Woodloes Estate. Although it's not rough and I doubt you'd get a break in or anything like that, they're a pain in the a*se. It's also the closest place to moor for access to Warwick Hospital, gawd forbid someone aboard is unwell! Also, it's a short walk from there to the BP petrol station (2 mins) on the Coventry Road which has a small M&S food shop attached.

The rings opposite Kate Boats are 48 hour only. (Although we're broken down there at the moment so might see you if we're not repaired soon!) But again it's quiet there this time of year, and for some reason the kids who muck about with your mooring pins 20 yards further up, don't touch you if you're opposite Kate Boats (more boaters around there, I suppose).

Lastly, beyond Kate Boats and (eventually) Bridge 46 is a big 24 hour Tesco with it's own mooring. Again short stay, but I've seen the same boat there since the autumn. Still plenty of room though as he's moored right at one end.

And that in a rather large nutshell, is the moorings above and below Hatton Flight!

Fin.

You didn't mention the country park. Well worth a visit for discounted things, food etc

Sue