Mooring Wardens/14 Days

nmptwentyone

Featured Posts

Yes and I have tried to participate objectively in the debate without resorting to shouting, swearing or calling people names.

Quite, but you infer beating children could be the way forward. How about lynching negros or burning witches? I would be interested to hear your views.

The canals are not some Government welfare benefit that is handed out to the poor and needy on a free-for-all basis. It is about money like all other hobbies/interests. If you can't afford it, b*gger off and go find another hobby and leave the canals to those who enjoy it AND are prepared and able to pay their way to help finance the waterways.

You imply that you should be allowed to enjoy boating without paying, at the expense of others. Well I would like a 60' Sunseeker yacht in the Med but, short of nicking one, I'll probably have to wait a little longer as I don't suppose someone is just going to give me one. That's the way the world works - get real and get a life.

Walking is free (at the moment). Take up walking the canals rather than cruising as a free-loader. We'll wave you a cheery haloo as we cruise past.

Chris

does anyone actually read anything on here or just skim it. think they know roughly what it will be about and start on some rant?

THIS TOPIC REGARDS PEOPLE WHO PAY, INC CC-ERS. ANYONE WITHOUT A LEICENCE NEEDS TO GET ONE, NO EXCUSE. SO IF YOU DONT HAVE (AND DONT WANT A MOORING) BUT HAVE A LEICENCE. YOU ARE PAYING, ALL THAT BW REQUIRE. (IF YOU BOTHERED TO READ WHAT IVE WROTE) SOME BOATERS ENJOY MOVING AROUND, THEY ARE LIMITED WHERE THEY GO BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT RICH (BACK THE THE "CLASS" ISSUE FROM EARLIER). THEY ARE STILL ENTITLED TO ENJOY THE CANALS SAME AS YOU.

HERE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A BIT OF FLEXABILTY IN SOME AREAS ON THE 14 DAY, WHICH I FEEL WILL ACTUALLY WORK WITH THE PROBLEM RATHER THAN AGAINST IT, BY JUST LINDLY MOVING PEOPLE AROUND.

IM CLOSE TO GIVING UP WITH THIS FORUM, NO ONE READS ANYTHING, THEY JUST FIND SOMETHING THEY CAN RIP APART AND RANT ON ABOUT THAT REGARDLESS OF THE TOPIC!

Anybody with a licence can have a boat on the waterways, they are in a very real sense a Government welfare benefit, they are maintained with huge subsidy for everyone.

So you think that because you pay 20% (or whatever small proportion it is) of the real cost of your use of the waterways then you should be given the rest by the taxpayer?

And those people who campaigned and worked for free to restore and protect the waterway that you enjoy? Step on their heads too why don't you.

I'll pay whatever I am asked to pay to enjoy the canals, up to the point where I consider the costs outway the benefits. After that point, I'll go find another hobby. However, I do expect that everyone else who wants to participate in the enjoyment of the canals also pays their way.

I abhor the kind of free-loading, piss-taking, ignorant scroungers who dress up their exploitation of the system as some kind of happy-clappy, tree-hugging moral crusade. What a load of bolleaux. A bas to the lot of them.

Chris

does anyone actually read anything on here or just skim it. think they know roughly what it will be about and start on some rant?

THIS TOPIC REGARDS PEOPLE WHO PAY, INC CC-ERS. ANYONE WITHOUT A LEICENCE NEEDS TO GET ONE, NO EXCUSE. SO IF YOU DONT HAVE (AND DONT WANT A MOORING) BUT HAVE A LEICENCE. YOU ARE PAYING, ALL THAT BW REQUIRE. (IF YOU BOTHERED TO READ WHAT IVE WROTE) SOME BOATERS ENJOY MOVING AROUND, THEY ARE LIMITED WHERE THEY GO BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT RICH (BACK THE THE "CLASS" ISSUE FROM EARLIER). THEY ARE STILL ENTITLED TO ENJOY THE CANALS SAME AS YOU.

HERE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A BIT OF FLEXABILTY IN SOME AREAS ON THE 14 DAY, WHICH I FEEL WILL ACTUALLY WORK WITH THE PROBLEM RATHER THAN AGAINST IT, BY JUST LINDLY MOVING PEOPLE AROUND.

IM CLOSE TO GIVING UP WITH THIS FORUM, NO ONE READS ANYTHING, THEY JUST FIND SOMETHING THEY CAN RIP APART AND RANT ON ABOUT THAT REGARDLESS OF THE TOPIC!

Stop shouting, it's rude.

..........................and if he thinks that people don't understand what he's saying then maybe he should look at his articulation skills as we all seem to have misunderstood him apparently. Maybe he should have been caned in English lessons at school :smiley_offtopic:

OR BIRCHED

I don't think that you were actually talking about a bit of flexability. You actually quoted "a month or two".

As regards your last paragraph, are you sure you are not just a trifle annoyed because not everyone agreed with you?

The problem with flexibility is that it's too open to abuse. For example, people who get caught speeding on the roads by cameras often complain that "in the old days" the policeman with his radar gun could show discretion, but what that basically means is that there would likely be one rule for the people the policeman likes/recognises as his or her "sort" and one rule for those they might disapprove of. Translate that to waterways and you could see cronyism by some wardens (maybe, for example, allowing overstaying by those displaying CWF stickers only!)

Surely better/fairer to have transparent rules applicable to all, and stick to them.

The problem with flexibility is that it's too open to abuse. For example, people who get caught speeding on the roads by cameras often complain that "in the old days" the policeman with his radar gun could show discretion, but what that basically means is that there would likely be one rule for the people the policeman likes/recognises as his or her "sort" and one rule for those they might disapprove of. Translate that to waterways and you could see cronyism by some wardens (maybe, for example, allowing overstaying by those displaying CWF stickers only!)

Surely better/fairer to have transparent rules applicable to all, and stick to them.

Hey - great idea. People with a CWF sticker AND more than, say, 2800 posts should be allowed to moor for as long as they like because they are major benefactors to the waterways :smiley_offtopic:

Quite, but you infer beating children could be the way forward. How about lynching negros or burning witches? I would be interested to hear your views.

I mentioned the beating I had in response to a reference to 'the big stick' - which I took to mean 'discipline generally' - in my view there is a very good case for bringing children up properly in an environment where they are taught the benefits of discipline and respect - the latter in regard to both people and property. I do not advocate corporal punishment and I do not think that I have ever indicated that I would condone capital punishment. I would be interested to know why you think that I would?

The point is simple - if they are staying put for a month or two (as you say) because of work they are not continuous cruisers and the boat should be in a marina or on a recognised BW mooring - in both cases you pay for the privilege. They are the rules that you agreed to when you licenced your boat.

again ranting on about something different than what this topic is about. the rules. i know what the rules are! im suggesting that maybe they dont work and need to be changed! maybe resulting in cc-ers paying more for a more relaxed lifestyle. like its suppposed to be. im not on here seeking avice having just brought a boat on what i should do with it. im not telling you all bollo*ks to the rules im stopping here, what do you all think about that?

ive not shouted (this is text not someones actual voice, you do know that?), swore or been abusive, try not to imply i have (recent post above)

or maybe you like the rules set in stone and are still worked up about them banning the cane in schools!

****now lets try and get back on track. please re-read my posts and comment on them, try not to go off on one but be constructive. "i think the system is fine as it is, because..." or "i agree, maybe there are other options (yes options that are not yet in the rule book), because..."

everyone get your heads out of the BW rule book and start using your brain.****

ill next log in tomorrow morning, if its just full of ranting about people not paying there way etc etc, ill log out never to be seen again.

I don't think that you were actually talking about a bit of flexability. You actually quoted "a month or two".

As regards your last paragraph, are you sure you are not just a trifle annoyed because not everyone agreed with you?

no i expected it. would have just left it at the original post if i was annoyed not everyone agreeed, thats the point of discussion. im not writting any rules here. im just suggesting things. one month, two, just time periods off the top of my head. but if it was out of the way, why not 2 months. increase the leicence a bit for the privailage, but bare in mind its not a mooring, just a bit of tow path. i dont think as the canals are becoming a bit busier the current system is best. yes it would need to be managed, yes its open for abuse, but im not writtig any rules here, just suggesting.

people dont seem to be able to see past the them and us.

no i expected it. would have just left it at the original post if i was annoyed not everyone agreeed, thats the point of discussion. im not writting any rules here. im just suggesting things. one month, two, just time periods off the top of my head. but if it was out of the way, why not 2 months. increase the leicence a bit for the privailage, but bare in mind its not a mooring, just a bit of tow path. i dont think as the canals are becoming a bit busier the current system is best. yes it would need to be managed, yes its open for abuse, but im not writtig any rules here, just suggesting.

people dont seem to be able to see past the them and us.

Not a bad idea per se, but the trouble with that is that the people who don't wish to avail themselves of that privelege wouldn't want to pay the extra, although I suppose BW could issue a different colour licence or something to those who want to participate.

. im just suggesting things. one month, two, just time periods off the top of my head. but if it was out of the way, why not 2 months. increase the leicence a bit for the privailage, but bare in mind its not a mooring, just a bit of tow path.

1 or 2 months instead of 14 days would be worse IMHO. Overstaying by 20% on 14 days is 3 days. Overstaying by 20% on 2 months is almost 2 weeks. The same problem would happen. The only way to make the rules work is to be seen to be enforcing them.....rigorously.

Chris

1 or 2 months instead of 14 days would be worse IMHO. Overstaying by 20% on 14 days is 3 days. Overstaying by 20% on 2 months is almost 2 weeks. The same problem would happen. The only way to make the rules work is to be seen to be enforcing them.....rigorously.

Chris

Thats what i thought. Also if extended how many people would really pay that much attention to the exact day they moored there. Its easyer to remember what date you moored up at if it was only two weeks ago.

Also how many people would get more attached to there mooring if they were on it for longer.

Thats what i thought. Also if extended how many people would really pay that much attention to the exact day they moored there. Its easyer to remember what date you moored up at if it was only two weeks ago.

Also how many people would get more attached to there mooring if they were on it for longer.

Good point Chickadee. The longer a person is in one place, the less inclined they are going to be to leave, particularly if it's a nice quiet spot close to amenities.