Tomato & Chick Pea Stew

goldtone

Featured Posts

I got this from The Guardian on Saturday and it is tasty, cheap, easy and mainly made of long life stuff! When I get my boat this will be a standard i think.

Serves 4

2 tins of good quality tomatoes

2 tins chick peas

Dried thyme

1 onion

garlic (optional)

fresh parsley

Chop up the onion, fry until wilted, not coloured, add garlic if you choose.

Add the tins and thyme, season. Simmer for 20 minutes.

Add chopped parsley.

Thats it.

I served it with rice, but i reckon couscous would suit it too.

I also reckon chilli flakes with the thyme and coriander at the end would be nice.

Or sausage like chorizo in with the thyme would work.

• 1 month later...

I made a variation on this on Saturday, used (soaked) dried chick peas though as I had those in the cupboard. I added mushrooms, peppers, cumin, turmeric and a bit of chilli too and served it with couscous - delicious. And I made a huge pot of it for about £2 - definitely one worth remembering.

Becky

I made a variation on this on Saturday, used (soaked) dried chick peas though as I had those in the cupboard. I added mushrooms, peppers, cumin, turmeric and a bit of chilli too and served it with couscous - delicious. And I made a huge pot of it for about £2 - definitely one worth remembering.

Becky

Ha, I made it on Saturday too!! By the way, were you on the GU by Linslade, and outside The Globe last night, I saw a boat named Muddy Waters?

I have also updated the recipe as I suggested in my first post.

Added 200g chorizo (1.80 from deli counter)

Chilli flakes

Kalamata olives

fresh coriander instead of parsley, but sprinkled over the plated meal, not mixed in

I also added the water from the chick pea tins and make up the couscous part hot water, part stew juice.

Bloody lovely!!!!