Wisbech to Kings Lynn

Anode

Featured Posts

Hi,

has anyone (indeed, is it navigable) gone from the river Nene to the Ouse, along the coast of The Wash, in a narrow boat? If so, is it a hairy journey & how do you plan the tide movement ?

I'm wondering if I can get from Grand union to Cambridge in a 62 footer basically.

Cheers

A.

Yes its navigable but dangerous on all but the calmest of days.

Why dont you just go up the Northampton Arm, via Northampton, Peterborough, etc

to get to Cambridge.

This is what we did.

Hi,

has anyone (indeed, is it navigable) gone from the river Nene to the Ouse, along the coast of The Wash, in a narrow boat? If so, is it a hairy journey & how do you plan the tide movement ?

I'm wondering if I can get from Grand union to Cambridge in a 62 footer basically.

Cheers

A.

Keeping Up, that sounds quite hairy! A trip I'd love to do - but I shall wait until a) we are more (much more) experienced and :unsure: until global warming reduces the river levels a bit! Seriously though, really want to get to Cambridge / Ely area. Presumably nav lights are needed for this trip?

Edited by stickleback

We did it too last summer and were following a big 70 footer that got there in one piece. It's just a couple of sharp bends that are the main obstacle, but you can be long and thin, or short and fat, just not long and wide. The other thing is one of the locks, but if you're too long for it you can go through on the level tide.

It's all here (scroll down to the bottom and work your way back up)

We did it too last summer and were following a big 70 footer that got there in one piece. It's just a couple of sharp bends that are the main obstacle, but you can be long and thin, or short and fat, just not long and wide. The other thing is one of the locks, but if you're too long for it you can go through on the level tide.

It's all here (scroll down to the bottom and work your way back up)

How wide can you be exactly?

How wide can you be exactly?

If you are already on the Nene or the Ouse and want to get from one to the other, best contact the Middle Level Commissioners to get the full low down on width/length combinations for Kings Dyke (or is it Whittlesey Dyke? Can't remember). If you're going via Northampton, it is of course academic ...

Presumably nav lights are needed for this trip?

No I don't think there's any requirement for them. The non-tidal sections don't need them, and you'd only be on the tideway for about a half hour which is always going to be in daylight.

I presume it would be a different matter if you were going round by the wash.

Allan