Launch of Sickle

Working Boats

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Just to let you know we launched the 'middle northwich' icebreaker Sickle yesterday. All went very well and a crowd of enthusiasts gathered to watch the event, and included Ian Tyler who had steered the boat in its days on BW maintenance. Sickle was rescued from fate of becoming a flower bed in the car park of Sawley Marina, after a year a bugging BW they finally gave in and allowed my dad to buy her, and working in his spare time has completely rebuilt the hull and cabin using traditional methods. Unfortunately due to time we haven't had time to put the 5ft ice breaking ram on the bow of Sickle, however we plan to restore this feature at a later date. For photos of the event visit http://sickle.freehostia.com/launch.html

1Sickle.jpg

100_2458.jpg

100_2454.jpg

Kind Regards

Matt Parrott

Edited by Working Boats

Hey Matt

Looks absolutely fantastic. Just shows that if you can make a chimney, you can do the rest of the boat as well. When's your Dad going in to the boatbuilding business?

Nevermind the ice ram, the other important feature you've forgotten is the oil drum across the back end bulkhead!

Look forward to seeing Sickle at Braunston.

Paul

Very nice. Thanks for posting pictures.

- Joe was sorry he couldnt make it to the launch, but said he might go and vist you or the boat today. Although he's proberbly been in touch with you?

Eather way i would like to see the boat myself sometime over summer but im sure that will fit into plans somehow near the time or something.

Daniel

Nice work, well documented. Pleased to hear you plan on restoring the ice breaker ram :D

Notice you using my favorite, uncharted, full lenght (71'6") winding hole. :rolleyes:

Ah, the famous Tamworth Road Winding hole.

Well done. The boat really looks the biz.

Did your family used to have Tycho? Or am I wrong again?

zenataomm

Hi zenataomm, Yes you're right my dad used to own Tycho in the 1980s.

Nevermind the ice ram, the other important feature you've forgotten is the oil drum across the back end bulkhead!

We're trying to find an old oil drum to stick across the back end bulkhead, then recreate the writing on it.

Thanks everyone

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
Hi zenataomm, Yes you're right my dad used to own Tycho in the 1980s.

We're trying to find an old oil drum to stick across the back end bulkhead, then recreate the writing on it.

Thanks everyone

Matt

I've got the oil drum, what color do you want?

Nice job, good to see a restoration done in England!

Andrew