Bantock narrowboats

Nige G

Featured Posts

I love it.

I'm just concerned about it's age!!

I would not worry too much about the age of the boat - older boats were usually made of better quality materials than modern craft . A full hull survey including ultrasonic testing will soon show if there is any cause for concern .

Hi Nige

Nice looking boat, bit better condition than ours, 1909!

Spoke to welder who's doing some work on it this week, he reckons the iron hull will be good for another 50 years, don't make them like they used to...

If you email me thomasthetanker at hotm a i l .c om and I'll send you our pdf to compare

Cheers

you have email :)

Lovely, very nice. Shame it wouldn't qualify for the historic boat thing being a major steel top conversion rather than an under canvas cunning conversion that makes it sorta look like the real dogs doodahs.

I'd buy it if I was in the market. All these boats have such fascinating histories.

D

Lovely, very nice. Shame it wouldn't qualify for the historic boat thing being a major steel top conversion rather than an under canvas cunning conversion that makes it sorta look like the real dogs doodahs.

I'd buy it if I was in the market. All these boats have such fascinating histories.

D

You'd be surprised what qualifies for historic boat discount (and, possibly, even more surprised what doesn't).

I don't see why a composite boat, with a steel top, instead of tarps, shouldn't qualify, when one with a steel bottom, instead of elm, does...Especially as the cabin is a far easier deconversion, than the bottoms, if you wanted to put it back to original.

I do know of several cabinned boats, though, which have received the discount.

You'd be surprised what qualifies for historic boat discount (and, possibly, even more surprised what doesn't).

I don't see why a composite boat, with a steel top, instead of tarps, shouldn't qualify, when one with a steel bottom, instead of elm, does...Especially as the cabin is a far easier deconversion, than the bottoms, if you wanted to put it back to original.

I do know of several cabinned boats, though, which have received the discount.

Hmm, tell me more of this historic boat discount thingy. :huh:

How easy are they to look after being iron instead of steel?

If it's still got a wooden bottom would that pose any major problems for maintenance?

If it need any welding on the hull, how different is that in cost as opposed to a steel hulled boat?

I went to have a look at it today.

It's had it's bottom and sides up to the waterline replaced with steel and the boatmans cabin and engine room is a wooden structure.

It's very nice inside and a perfect liveaboard.

The only issue I have with it is the possible extra expense with any hull repairs that may eventually need doing to the iron parts of the hull.

Hmm, tell me more of this historic boat discount thingy. :huh:

How easy are they to look after being iron instead of steel?

If it's still got a wooden bottom would that pose any major problems for maintenance?

If it need any welding on the hull, how different is that in cost as opposed to a steel hulled boat?

If you have an historic boat (technically pre-1948 but there are exceptions) that hasn't been chopped about too much then it could, at the whim of one individual, apparently, qualify for a 10% licence discount.

The rules appear pretty straightforward (I think appearance trumps authenticity) but every requirement, for the discount, has a corresponding boat that doesn't meet it.