water tanks made to order

reddi8

Featured Posts

Forget the citizen advice just go to the court house and take out a county court claim. for the cost of the unit and also some for repairers to your boat.

It will cost you about £60 but you will get your say in front of a magistrate and probably find they will pay you off before it gets to that .

If you win you will also get back the court charges.

22167[/snapback]

I agree with everything said. If you have to take the legal route take a look at the Court Service web site. You can do your claim on line without ever speaking to a solicitor or the courts. I can speak from experience that its very easy and it works, I got compensation. But ideally you should sort it out with the supplier if you can

Charles

No body knows

- ask polyfab!

lets all ask polyfab.reddie post their email address and if over 500 forum members send emails asking for an explanation from them it might shake them up a bit.each of us can point out we tell reddie,s story to all we meet,if we done something along these lines it might make a difference,solidarity of the forums.lets kick ass and see if jumps. gaggle

Presumably this tank has a filler and breather on the top some ware.

So how can you get a air lock in the tank, or am i missing something, even if the breather is blocked off it will still breath through the filler pipe when the cap is off and filling.

Or is this just another point i am not looking at properly?.

the only way i can see this tank swelling enough to split it is if the filler pipe was put in and sealed,no breather hole, and even then the pressure of water in pipe feeding the tank would have to be excessivly high.i would expect any tank to withstand pressure far and above domestic mains pressure.

• 2 months later...

finally got a hearing for compensation for the faulty water tanks in the County Court on the 20 September. You would think a large company like them would be covered by a public liability & would have saved having the court hearing.

great stuff reddie i hope you do well and get full compo for your damages.

they might make an offer outside the court even,brinkmanship is a game some like to play.

twice i have got to the court and insurance companies have made pre court offers,if they offer they know they have lost.

i made them go into court and then the settlement and their guilt went on record.one thing they could just not show.anyway good luck lad.

Presumably this tank has a filler and breather on the top some ware.

So how can you get a air lock in the tank, or am i missing something, even if the breather is blocked off it will still breath through the filler pipe when the cap is off and filling.

I thought exactly the same until I saw it with my own eyes or should that be heard it with my own ears.

I spent a weekend aboard Sleepy Otter with Big Col on the Sunday before we set of down the GU Colin connected a hose to the filler pipe and turned on the tap.

After what seemed to me to be a long time water started to trickle out of the overflow. Tank full.

Colin turned off the tap and told me to listen to the air escape. I disconnected the hose and for several seconds after I heard air coming out of the inlet pipe. This obviously could only happen if the air was under pressure.

Why this should happen I have no idea but it did. The inlet pipe had a standard 1/2" 'hozelock' type connector and the overflow was just a pipe about 1 1/2" welded into the side of the hull above the waterline.

With the tank full I don't understand where the air actually was, but that much apparent pressure could possibly cause problems to a plastic tank unless of course the hose was just dangled in through a filler cap.

The mind boggles, mine more than most.

Edited by Maffi

• 2 weeks later...

today we went to The County Court the premlimanary hearing about the faulty tanks. The company rep & his solicitor & us before the judge. The judge commented that this should have been sorted for this amount without the court but never mind he was being paid. The company wanted to see the tank but when I said there was no way John was going to lug 2 heavy tanks up 3 flights of stairs after a heart attack. The company said they did not know about the 2nd but they had said they would have no further dealings with us so I never told them about the other tank leaking. They offered to pick them up & take them to court but John said he would get the witnesses to carry them. They could have repaired them in their possession.

The judge has put the hearing for 28 days & 1.5 hours long.

One of the witnesses earns in excess of £60,000 a year & the other is in a good engineering job. their expenses will add up further with their solicitors cost. But we get our legal expenses paid.

My son says he expects we will get a offer just before the hearing

All we ask is the £400 we paid for the tanks & £300 for replacing the wooden floor & carpet & the cost of running a dehumidifier for 4 weeks to dry the boat out.

I only asked for £300 not being greedy. But friends have given us carpet & we have a relative in the timber trade who gives us a good deal.

Because of the tanks we have missed our first summer on the boat. We have had to save up & have stainless steel tanks made which came with baffles. The enthuisiasm waned when we saw all our good work under water.

Reddi.

When the final judgement and documentation comes through, put it on the site complete with all names etc. It will then be in the public domain and perhaps we can spread the word about this rogue company. We or you may see about getting publicity in the waterways press.

Perhaps we can prevent anyone else getting tangled up with these people.

Edited by John Orentas

• 1 month later...

Today we finally went to the Small Claims Court about the tanks. What a waste of time as the amount was small we couldn`t get a solicitor. Polyfab turned up with expert witness who said it was impossible for the tanks to split. But we saw it with our own eyes as we filled the second tank the sides bulged out & then bang & water sprayed out of the seams, the first tank was just like a shoe with its sole hanging off.

They insisted we must have filled the tanks under pressure but we used a old 60ft hose with holes in. As they repaired one of the tanks & it now holds water we did not get any money for it. The second still leaks but they insist we used pressure on it.

The judge believed what we said but said the company had done their best to put things right. They only arranged for it to be re welded & didn`t want to know about the other tank.

We have come away with £200 for our inconvenience but nothing for the wooden floor or carpet or the cost of the electricity used for a month by the dehumidifier.

We had no faith in using the repaired tank & had stainless steel ones made. There manufacturer put baffles in but Polyfab didn`t because we hadn`t requested them.

All we wanted was two tanks to hold water.

• 2 weeks later...

take satisfaction that all the forum members having learned of this companies shortcoming can spread the word.

word of mouth recommendations are are great source of new orders for companies and i can not see many people on the forums recommending this company to anybody.

bad eggs!

take satisfaction that all the forum members having learned of this companies shortcoming can spread the word

Yeah, deffonatly.

Infact, we should get some banners printed up for the next big canal rally.

"POLYFAB, not so FAB"