Black my Bottom

Featured Posts

We're gentlemen. We wouldn't talk about her real bottom.

dunno why you mentioned that maffi. I, and as far as I know Nigel as well, were quite single minded in our discussion about boats. And now you've put us off. :closedeyes:

............... been in the desert too long? :P

take care not to get sand in those awkward places. :)

steve: I really don't know what your getting at...........im being serious, now if I cant mention my bottom blacking without you going off on one.....(well i dont know.... i really dont......)

So.....would you recommend giving it a good doing just once, or would you do it twice for good measure, cos its sods law you always miss a bit, dont you?

steve: I really don't know what your getting at...........im being serious, now if I cant mention my bottom blacking without you going off on one.....(well i dont know.... i really dont......)

So.....would you recommend giving it a good doing just once, or would you do it twice for good measure, cos its sods law you always miss a bit, dont you?

I would always recommend doing it twice to make sure you have a sufficient coverage. As you mentioned you could always miss a bit. Besides you'll work uyp and good swaet twice and need more beer afterwards.

Lots of proper boaters do it every year! It's like a ritual at the local boat club membership includes use of the dry dock and a limitless supply of cheap bitumen wooden spout paint. (It's useless but that doesn't matter and they wouldn't let a small thing like that disrupt the ritual)

They all dress up in Fred Dibna garb and go at it like men possessed with wire brushes and rollers of watery black stuff while other proper boaters watch from the rail cheering them on like Romans at the amphitheatre with words of encouragement and opinions of how they would do it.

In no time at all it's finished the crowd disperses to discuss how they would have done it, but worry not the ritual will start again next week and most of that watery black stuff is already attaching itself to the local wild life in scenes reminiscent of Tory Canyon all those years ago.

Gary :closedeyes:

Wyndy

are you thinking about blackening your bottom in public like that or having a professional do it proper?

I know a professional proper job is best, but there's nothing like a quick public blackening of one's bottom

Edited by steveh

Lots of proper boaters do it every year! It's like a ritual at the local boat club membership includes use of the dry dock and a limitless supply of cheap bitumen wooden spout paint. (It's useless but that doesn't matter and they wouldn't let a small thing like that disrupt the ritual)

They all dress up in Fred Dibna garb and go at it like men possessed with wire brushes and rollers of watery black stuff  while other proper boaters watch from the rail cheering them on like Romans at the amphitheatre with words of encouragement and opinions of how they would do it.

In no time at all it's finished the crowd disperses to discuss how they would have done it, but worry not the ritual will start again next week and most of that watery black stuff is already attaching itself to the local wild life in scenes reminiscent of Tory Canyon all those years ago.

Gary :closedeyes:

So how often would you recomend?

Daniel

Like so many other things, preparation is the important thing. My local dry dock will allow the use of one of those fantastic high pressure steam jet cleaners.

I must disagree with Gary, I believe the old fashioned bitumen to be the best stuff to use. I moor next to the dry dock and I see boats coming in which have been previously painted with the modern types, they certainly look no better and some show signs of chipping and scratching, at least the old stuff won't do that.

Most people do it every 3 to 4 years but I don't suppose you can't do it too often.

Edited by John Orentas

Chris: that was a joke about the boat not being in the water....taz been in since it was launched last year.... :P

Gary: Your dry dock sound good, is it possible to book it, when the need arises for my bottom doing? does the crowd watching, come at no extra charge?

Steve: I always DIY myself.....some of these places you let loose on it, just give it a quickie......I like to know all the nooks and crannies have been well coated, myself....and if it needs some extra attention, you know its getting done right :closedeyes:

Drifter: what routes that you shouldt go to? ......is that re your bottom blacking?