Alternator wiring diagram

moggyjo

Featured Posts

does anyone know a site where I can get a wiring diagram for a 100ah alternator please

When you say a "wiring diagram", do you mean that you want to know the terminal connections on the alternator? Although I can give you generic connections now (eg: the terminal marked B+ is the output, the terminal marked D+ goes to the charge light, the terminal marked W is the tacho connection) this presupposes your alternator uses the conventional markings.

What is the make and type of the alternator? That's the only way you will get a definitive answer?

Chris

When you say a "wiring diagram", do you mean that you want to know the terminal connections on the alternator? Although I can give you generic connections now (eg: the terminal marked B+ is the output, the terminal marked D+ goes to the charge light, the terminal marked W is the tacho connection) this presupposes your alternator uses the conventional markings.

What is the make and type of the alternator? That's the only way you will get a definitive answer?

Chris

We think it is the landrover alternator, 100ah CA1O85IR I think the way you have mentioned sounds like the way he fitted it but now the engine wont start :rolleyes:

We think it is the landrover alternator, 100ah CA1O85IR I think the way you have mentioned sounds like the way he fitted it but now the engine wont start :rolleyes:

It is less likely to be the alternator's preventing the engine from starting, as a wire missed off somewhere else. If you missed off any of the alternator wires the engine would still start; there would simply be no charging.

When you say "doesn't start" do you mean it turns over but doesn't fire or it won't even turn on the starter motor?

Chris

It is less likely to be the alternator's preventing the engine from starting, as a wire missed off somewhere else. If you missed off any of the alternator wires the engine would still start; there would simply be no charging.

When you say "doesn't start" do you mean it turns over but doesn't fire or it won't even turn on the starter motor?

Chris

It wont turn over the starter motor that was why we have been tring to find a wiring picture/ diagram to make sure everything is in the right place

It wont turn over the starter motor that was why we have been tring to find a wiring picture/ diagram to make sure everything is in the right place

I am presuming you have had a replacement alternator fitted today. My initial guess would be that whoever fitted it removed a connection and omitted to put it back. The earth may be common to the alternator and starter solonoid and so nothing is happening. Or it may be that they temporarily removed a wire to the starter solonoid (maybe for access) and forgot to put it back.

When you turn the ignition key, to start, do you hear a loud click from the starter solonoid or absolutely nothing? If nothing, my bet is a wire missing from the solonoid. If you do hear a loud click then there is a wire missing on the starter motor itself.

I don't think its anything to do with the alternator per se.

Chris

I am presuming you have had a replacement alternator fitted today. My initial guess would be that whoever fitted it removed a connection and omitted to put it back. The earth may be common to the alternator and starter solonoid and so nothing is happening. Or it may be that they temporarily removed a wire to the starter solonoid (maybe for access) and forgot to put it back.

When you turn the ignition key, to start, do you hear a loud click from the starter solonoid or absolutely nothing? If nothing, my bet is a wire missing from the solonoid. If you do hear a loud click then there is a wire missing on the starter motor itself.

I don't think its anything to do with the alternator per se.

Chris

Thanks Chris, he will have a look tomorrow

Got the engine going, he had put the spade connector wire that should go to the solonoid on the starter motor onto the spade connector on the alternator the onew thats for radio interferance noe it is in the correct place, the ignition light wont go off, anyone got any ideas please :rolleyes:

There should be a (spade) terminal that is usually marked D or D+. The charge light should go to here (usually a brown/yellow wire). If the charger light wire has been earthed in error it will always stay on. Are you getting volts out of the alternator? If so how what's the measurement?

Chris

I have a picture of that unit in front of me and the connections are as Chris suggested, B+,D+and W. All are stud connections but should have markings moulded into the plastic cover. Now, I am concerned that

he had put the spade connector wire that should go to the solonoid on the starter motor onto the spade connector on the alternator the onew thats for radio interferance
so to fault find the thing let's start with symptoms. You say the warning light won't go out, what not even with ignition off? Carefully describe please, what happens from key in to engine running.

Edited to add, do you have a split charge diode? Check if there is voltage present at the B+ terminal with engine stopped.

Edited by snibble

I have a picture of that unit in front of me and the connections are as Chris suggested, B+,D+and W. All are stud connections but should have markings moulded into the plastic cover. Now, I am concerned that so to fault find the thing let's start with symptoms. You say the warning light won't go out, what not even with ignition off? Carefully describe please, what happens from key in to engine running.

Edited to add, do you have a split charge diode? Check if there is voltage present at the B+ terminal with engine stopped.

Hello, just managed to borrow power from neighbour to get on internet.

Ignition light goes out when the engine is off, Nick is back at work today I only have a volt meter that goes up to 20amps how do I check the B+ terminal, and yes there is a split charge relay little black box.

I could not find a picture of the alternator anywhere on the net?

Wendy

Hello, just managed to borrow power from neighbour to get on internet.

Ignition light goes out when the engine is off, Nick is back at work today I only have a volt meter that goes up to 20amps how do I check the B+ terminal, and yes there is a split charge relay little black box.

I could not find a picture of the alternator anywhere on the net?

Wendy

Righto! I think I know where we are going now. I would like you to try moving the warning lamp wire from the D+ terminal to B+ (in addition to the main output wire) and try it again. I believe that will get the unit charging, but you will probably have issues arising from volt drop in the split charge diode. Try that for now and we will address such problems if my theory is confirmed by the altered connection. I will also explain the whys and wherefores when I have time. Don't worry about checking for volts at B+, since you confirm the presence of a split charge diode we know there is no voltage present, and that is why the alternator won't work.

Righto! I think I know where we are going now. I would like you to try moving the warning lamp wire from the D+ terminal to B+ (in addition to the main output wire) and try it again. I believe that will get the unit charging, but you will probably have issues arising from volt drop in the split charge diode. Try that for now and we will address such problems if my theory is confirmed by the altered connection. I will also explain the whys and wherefores when I have time. Don't worry about checking for volts at B+, since you confirm the presence of a split charge diode we know there is no voltage present, and that is why the alternator won't work.

Hello, I don't have a split charge diode I've just got a split charge relay,

Wendy

Sorry, misread that. Ok back to have you got 12V on the B+ terminal with engine off.

Hello, Nick is on his way back from work on the K&A at the moment, I'll see if he will test it when he gets in, I presume you have the amp meter on the 20amp setting, where do you put the negative when testing please,

Wendy

Hello, Nick is on his way back from work on the K&A at the moment, I'll see if he will test it when he gets in, I presume you have the amp meter on the 20amp setting, where do you put the negative when testing please,

Wendy

Wendy

STOP STOP STOP! do not put the meter on 20 amps. Put it on 20 VOLTS otherwise you will get a big bang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The positive goes to the B+ and the negative to earth.

Chris

Edited by chris w

Yes its reading the same as the amp meter on the control panel, I put the meter on the B+ and on the engine body with the negative. should it not be reading that?

That is a slightly low charge voltage. Is there a shoreline powered charger on? It is certainly too high for a battery at rest, it may be down to meter innacuracy, but that would be a VERY innacurate meter. I presume the

amp meter on the control panel
is actually a volt meter? Amps and volts being very different breeds of budgie.