5g MiFi WiFi 6

GUMPY

Featured Posts

I found a fault!

Whilst is supports most bands on its internal antennas on external antennas only B42 and B48 on 4G and N78 on 5G are supported. So not much use on 4G if you need external antennas.

On 13/04/2024 at 10:38, GUMPY said:

I found a fault!

Whilst is supports most bands on its internal antennas on external antennas only B42 and B48 on 4G and N78 on 5G are supported. So not much use on 4G if you need external antennas.

That's the well-hidden problem with external antenna connections on lots of routers...

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, IanD said:

That's the well-hidden problem with external antenna connections on lots of routers...

I guess it's due to the fact that B42/48 and N78 are all in the same frequency band.

My Huawei says 5g only on the external ports but looks like in reality it means 3.5ghz band. Never seen it expressed as channels before.

Question is do the lower frequency 4g channels use the internal antennas when external antennas are connected?

Edited by GUMPY

1 minute ago, GUMPY said:

I guess it's due to the fact that B42/48 and N78 are all in the same frequency band.

My Huawei says 5g only on the external ports but looks like in reality it means 3.5ghz band. Never seen it expressed as channels before.

Question is do the lower frequency 4g channels use the internal antennas when external antennas are connected?

Usually the answer is yes. However if you're inside a boat with no reception using the internal antennas and these are used for setting up the link (which is what happens with 5G) then you're scuppered... 😞

They make the routers this way because it's  cheaper, on the assumption that external antennas will improve reception on the 3.5G bands which don't penetrate walls as well as the lower frequency bands.