Kelvin Gear Wheel

Floaty Me Boaty

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I have been talking to a chap that will cast the famous gear wheel for me, in Bronze, Brass or Ali, but ideally would need a digital drawing of the design.

Would anyone on here have one or know where i could obtain one please?

Once we get a price, others on here may wish to purchase one also.

The size i am going for is 10.5 inches which seems the norm.

I have attached a picture of the finished product i would like.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_1528.jpeg

Just been quoted £225 for a wheel cast in Aluminium Bronze, which apparently gives the same finish as Brass,  but does no tarnish.

Going to send me some pictures tomorrow.

Fingers Crossed

Edited by Floaty Me Boaty
Typo, AGAIN

I think the Bergius Co originals were made from the sort of thing time served patternmakers could knock out easily, either an an apprentice job or as a time filler.  The originals were bronze.  If there ever was a factory drawing it may well be in the Glasgow University archive, where many Kelvin papers and drawings went.

Dick Goble had some made a few years back.  I would not be surprised to find he still had the pattern, though he may have used an original as a pattern.  It is a very simple thing to mould.  Mine looks as though it was poured into an open mould in a single mouldbox, leaving an as-cast back.p

I doubt that anyone has prepared a 3D digital drawing though a laser scan  of an original would not need much work to make it useable as a model for a digitally printed pattern.

Painting in the blue sky and the green sea is fun!

N

Edited by BEngo
  • Greenie 1

That’s the Kevin plaque, I think, rather than the gear change wheel. We got ours from Dick Goble and attached it to the side wall lining of our engine hole. Can’t recall how much we paid but it wouldn’t have been a fortune. Maybe he still has one knocking around? I have his numbers. Great bloke!

• Greenie 1

Hi Dave,

I have his number so will give him a call.

Last time i spoke to him he was getting over knee surgery.

2 hours ago, BEngo said:

I think the Bergius Co originals were made from the sort of thing time served patternmakers could knock out easily, either an an apprentice job or as a time filler.  The originals were bronze.  If there ever was a factory drawing it may well be in the Glasgow University archive, where many Kelvin papers and drawings went.

Dick Goble had some made a few years back.  I would not be surprised to find he still had the pattern, though he may have used an original as a pattern.  It is a very simple thing to mould.  Mine looks as though it was poured into an open mould in a single mouldbox, leaving an as-cast back.p

I doubt that anyone has prepared a 3D digital drawing though a laser scan  of an original would not need much work to make it useable as a model for a digitally printed pattern.

Painting in the blue sky and the green sea is fun!

N

Would you know if their archives are open to the Public?

45 minutes ago, Floaty Me Boaty said:

Would you know if their archives are open to the Public?

As far as I know they are, but...

Last time I looked at he online listing the Bergius stuff had not been catalogued. That means making appointments, going to Gleska and spending time looking for what you want.

I think I found the details by googling Kelvin Archive.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=http://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb248-ugd366&ved=2ahUKEwijq9qxuo2FAxX_RUEAHbx8B18QFnoECA8QAQ&usg=AOvVaw2OXhUBUvojwOvzDmdHom3v

The above link points to U Glasgow archive UGD 366.  The National Archive also points to UGD 367, and says that contains 20th Century drawings.  If that includes the Model J,K,L drawings it would beca gold mine for spares reproduction.

N

Edited by BEngo
Linky. Second Archive
  • Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, BEngo said:

As far as I know they are, but...

Last time I looked at he online listing the Bergius stuff had not been catalogued. That means making appointments, going to Gleska and spending time looking for what you want.

I think I found the details by googling Kelvin Archive.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=http://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb248-ugd366&ved=2ahUKEwijq9qxuo2FAxX_RUEAHbx8B18QFnoECA8QAQ&usg=AOvVaw2OXhUBUvojwOvzDmdHom3v

The above link points to U Glasgow archive UGD 366.  The National Archive also points to UGD 367, and says that contains 20th Century drawings.  If that includes the Model J,K,L drawings it would beca gold mine for spares reproduction.

N

Just reading up on how to make a visit.

Looks like being a couple of days well spent.

Hi All,

Received the attached form Glasgow University, so just a question of collating what everyone needs and spending a few days up there.

Also, a very kind member has sent me some templates of the Plaque in question, so enquiries will be made as to where i can get some made up.

I have a foundry in Hastings and a Blue Plaque manufacturer to contact.

IMG_1530.jpeg

IMG_1529.jpeg

Kelvin Records.pdf

You could also try Bridport Foundry  and the folk in Madeley (madeleybrass castings.co.u)   that do the BCNS explorer plaques.  Procast Nottingham  (www.procast-shop.com) have also been known to do one-offs as well as their narrowboat brassware..

N

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, BEngo said:

You could also try Bridport Foundry  and the folk in Madeley (madeleybrass castings.co.u)   that do the BCNS explorer plaques.  Procast Nottingham  (www.procast-shop.com) have also been known to do one-offs as well as their narrowboat brassware..

N

Thanks for the info. 

1 minute ago, MtB said:

I think we have a member here who dabbles in brassfoundry. Made a batch of bronze windlasses a few years ago IIRC.

Was it @Bee perhaps?

Been watching YouTube videos and a mixture of Copper and Ali comes out really nice.

Looks like Gold 🙂 

6 minutes ago, Floaty Me Boaty said:

Been watching YouTube videos and a mixture of Copper and Ali comes out really nice.

Looks like Gold 🙂 

Gosh!

Faintly surprised the two metals dissolve when molten....

If they were both molten they would not be dissolving.  Usually one, solid, metal is put into the main constituent metal in liquid  form.  The  solid dissolves into the liquid.

There are a few instances where the larger constituent is dissolved into the liquid smaller constituent.

N