Intermittent no fires 3LW

Maudesmaster

Featured Posts

My old girl been working fine after tappets adjusted by lad fro Walsh’s on the Bridgewater 

did Leeds and back now on Staffs and Worcester 

Engine slowed and shut down cruised to side to investigate bled to pump top couple seconds for air to clear  

Ok changed water separating filters in the big double changeover for new 

changed other fuel filter

diesel clean and no water started up was fine went past a few boats on tick over throttled up and engine missing skittering backed off throttle seems ok as long as not too much throttle 

Any ideas please hoping not amal lift pump 

This does sound like a lack of fuel, embarrassingly we had this issue when I left the fuel line isolated at the tank, the engine ran for quite some Time on what was already in the system. Coasting to a some hundreds of yards down the canal was a surprise.

Given what has already been done I suggest removing the bowl from the Amal pump and checking its clean. Then pump fuel through using the lever on the Amal pump making sure the engine cam is not holding the pump arm pressed down (rotate engine a bit if needed). On our 3LW you can feel a change when the  pump has filled the system, this gives some indication that the pump is working.

Another thought would be to take the air/fuel vent line off the fuel filter and check fuel/air comes out when manually pumping with the AMAL. A word of caution though, on our boat the fuel filter is below the top of the fuel tank, so if the tank is full to the top, fuel flows from the tank continuously so I cannot do this check if the tank is full.

Edited by jonesthenuke
typos etc

• 1 month later...

Thank you all take off for engine was from diesel heater off take so when tank lowish I guess slopping fuel meant picking up air now taken from correct off take found smaller pipe inside take off pipe bit of a giveaway

Thank you all for comments 

• Greenie 1