New BMC vedette owner needs some info !!

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, nicjo said:

great we are getting there!! yes the distributor drive will run of the gear box oil as the oil will be both in housing of the fly wheel and gears. My engine had me stumped way back because there was zero oil on my dipstick in my boat bell housing, but obvs because the level was so low that why i was thinking separate engine oil, then dry bell housing and finally a separate gear box with shaft in between

. But yes its engine oil, feeds the engine and ANOTHER oil in the bell housing / gearbox.. IF that all makes sense ?? 

Soooooo what oil in the rear (excuse me!!!) EP140 or engine oil? 

No, I don't think the flywheel runs in oil.

The engine needs a flywheel if it is to spin smoothly during those parts of the cycle where there are is no power being delivered to the pistons, so it must have one. Now look at the last photo of the latest set you posted.  You can see the distributor drive and the gear drum input gear sticking out of the red painted wall in the housing. The flywheel is on the other side of that wall and will without any oil, as per normal (unless the oil seal in that "wall" fails). The flywheel housing as two cavities cast into it. A dry one for the flywheel and a wet one on the gearbox side.

Your photos show no reduction box, so you just have a gearbox. The gearbox uses engine oil. If you have a dipstick in the gearbox half of the flywheel housing, then that will tell you when to stop filling with oil. Just note how much you put in to bring the level up to the mark on the dipstick.

Ok Tony just been out in dark in garden to relook !! neighbours must think im mad !!! Yes correct that bell housing has the fly wheel on the other side of that red wall.. Yes the bell housing section is 1/2 is the fly wheel cavity and 1/2 (the other side of wall) is the drive shaft and distib shaft... Now i got it... Everybody can now breath again !! cracked it Tony 😇... Sorted .. 🤙..

Should run like a dream with some oil back in it !! seeing as only 100ml approx came out... Just hoping no leaks !! but at least i got a spare engine and box !! 

Really nice quiet engine too...