Which mixer shower - thermostatic valve or not?

TandC

Featured Posts

17 hours ago, magnetman said:

Do these freezing events actually happen on Boats? 

Yes. Paloma and other instantaneous water heaters are particularly prone to frost leaks. I think the cold worms it's way down the flue and bursts the top corner of the waterway. I've seen this multiple times and I've soldered over the split lots of times, including for three CWF members over the years!

Also I've had a HEP20 fitting under the sink pop off from frost on my own boat. 

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yes. Paloma and other instantaneous water heaters are particularly prone to frost leaks. I think the cold worms it's way down the flue and bursts the top corner of the waterway. I've seen this multiple times and I've soldered over the split lots of times, including for three CWF members over the years!

Also I've had a HEP20 fitting under the sink pop off from frost on my own boat. 

The key point seems to be that unless you're going to have some kind of frost protection heating on your boat overwinter, you should drain as much as possible down because freezing can cause all sorts of damage -- at least, drain down all the exposed pipes and fittings, water tanks sitting on the baseplate or built-in to the hull are unlikely to freeze because they're next to water above freezing point, and neither are any closed cooling/heating systems with antifreeze in.

• Greenie 1