Covid and flu Oct 2023

LadyG

Featured Posts

There has been a subtle change to the wording of the text messages I get from GP or hospital confirming appointments. Instead of saying something like "if you have Covid symptoms do not attend and phone...." it says "if you have a sore throat or cough do not attend and phone....."

If you have a sore throat it may well be the start of Covid and frankly if you care for others and have any sense of responsibility you should not attend seasonal parties for the same reason. And you isolate....

13 minutes ago, SLC said:

There has been a subtle change to the wording of the text messages I get from GP or hospital confirming appointments. Instead of saying something like "if you have Covid symptoms do not attend and phone...." it says "if you have a sore throat or cough do not attend and phone....."

If you have a sore throat it may well be the start of Covid and frankly if you care for others and have any sense of responsibility you should not attend seasonal parties for the same reason. And you isolate....

Or if you still have some in date COVID tests (we have a few left) test and if neg. carry on as normal.

6 minutes ago, MJG said:

Or if you still have some in date COVID tests (we have a few left) test and if neg. carry on as normal.

We still have some Covid tests at home, and use them if we suspect symptoms, but so far always a negative result. However I  do not "carry on as normal" as suggested, I still wear a *decent quality) mask in crowded places, especially shops and supermarkets which is where I caught it, despite having had the jab.

7 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

We still have some Covid tests at home, and use them if we suspect symptoms, but so far always a negative result. However I  do not "carry on as normal" as suggested, I still wear a *decent quality) mask in crowded places, especially shops and supermarkets which is where I caught it, despite having had the jab.

do this old tests work with the current variant?

1 minute ago, robtheplod said:

do this old tests work with the current variant?

Because of my "advancing years" I was sent a couple of tests quite recently, and they were much older than the ones I still have, so presumably yes.

20 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Unlike one or two on here I'm not going to argue with that position if that is what you wish to do.

Entirely your choice.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

A member here has it and mentioned it on FB saying he was stuck in the house, and someone suggested it was fine to just carry on with normal daily life, its only a cold.  These people are about .

Me, probably. My wife runs the local church choir and plays the organ in the church as well as playing in orchestras , so it seemed a bit daft to risk her catching it the week before all the carol services and festive stuff. I got some abuse from an old mate who seemed to think it would be fine if I spread it around, including in the brass bands I play with where the average age must be over 80. It seemed an appalling attitude and I said so.

I can understand the pressure to go to work etc, but as a fairly asocial OAP, shutting myself up in one room for a week really made very little difference to my lifestyle, and nobody caught covid from me. You wouldn't spread chicken pox or flu, so surely should treat covid the same.

And the old tests work fine. The Flowflex have lasted better than the other ones.

• Greenie 3