Draining a Morco D61 water heater

blackrose

Featured Posts

Trying to drain my non-room sealed Morco gas water heater as I'm not going to use it over autumn/winter. 

Trouble is that with the water feed pipe isolated and the drain screw removed the water just dribbles down the pipe so you can't catch it in a container. I've gone through about 6 towels wrapped around the pipe so far all soaked with a couple more towels underneath to catch the spill. 

Is there a bleed screw above somewhere so that the water would come out more "cleanly"? I'm running out of towels!

Edited by blackrose

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

Is there a bleed screw above somewhere so that the water would come out more "cleanly"?

I don't think so.

Your only options for getting water out are removing the drain screw at the bottom and/or  disconnecting the water feed and outlet pipes.  I never see the need to disconnect an outlet pipe, as surely turning hot taps on will achieve the same thing.

7 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I don't think so.

Your only options for getting water out are removing the drain screw at the bottom and/or  disconnecting the water feed and outlet pipes.  I never see the need to disconnect an outlet pipe, as surely turning hot taps on will achieve the same thing.

Ok thanks Alan. I've put the drain screw back in to give me a chance to dry some towels for round 2.

It's another example of poor design in my opinion. Why didn't they design a 1cm spout so you could put a container underneath rather than just leaving a hole that dribbles the water down the pipe?

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Trying to drain my non-room sealed Morco gas water heater as I'm not going to use it over autumn/winter. 

Trouble is that with the water feed pipe isolated and the drain screw removed the water just dribbles down the pipe so you can't catch it in a container. I've gone through about 6 towels wrapped around the pipe so far all soaked with a couple more towels underneath to catch the spill. 

Is there a bleed screw above somewhere so that the water would come out more "cleanly"? I'm running out of towels!

We have the same hot water unit.  I winterise the heater by removing the drain plug just under the unit and opening the hot water taps. This then allows the water to drain away from the boiler tank and the heater in general. 

Water will not come out of the drain plug if you open the hot water taps first (after turning off the water pump of course!) as it then acts as an air vent to allow the heater to drain via the taps.