Narrow boat or....

Bubblebuster

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Tony1 said:

The other cons that I've seen mentioned are the lack of efficient electricity generation from the engine (if it has an outboard), and the lack of roof space for solar panels - obviously issues if you want to live aboard, not so much if you only do a few weeks cruising.

We have 200w of solar panels on our cabin roof with room for another hundred if we needed it. Last year, closures on the K&A kept us from moving at all for a week and our PV kept the fridge, TV, laptop and phone charger going for all of that time with no problems. The alternator on the diesel when we motor really tops up the batteries. 

Clearly, the PV would be insufficient during the winter, but it's not a boat I'd want to live on during the winter.

1 hour ago, Tony1 said:

My steed of choice would be the Viking 32cc or similar, with a very small SF stove and some kind of extra water capacity (I think the standard tank is about 25 gallons). Again, only an issue if you want to live aboard for longer periods and stay out in the sticks for longer periods.

We have a 500l water capacity in a built-in grp tank plus two flexible bladder tanks; easily enough for two weeks, even with quick showers every 2 or 3 days.

We have 460Ah of battery capacity that carries us through 4 days of dull wet weather (not much solar) if the engine isn't run.

We cruise continuously for two months each summer with no problems.

We regularly anchor on rivers where it is permitted, to get the prettiest spots where solar is plentiful; very useful on rivers such as the Nene where moorings are scarce and the Thames where they are expensive!

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Agreed, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder. I quite like the look of the heavenly twin catamaran, which is quite quirky, but incredibly roomy for a boat of only 26 foot

I like the traditional look too. If you are tall, the headroom might be an issue and if you have to use a marina they often charge 50% more for cats, but a very nice, stable platform compared to a monohull.

• Greenie 1