Another Newbie Question

Floaty Me Boaty

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Floaty Me Boaty said:

Hoping the 'Dipstick' is the little 'Blue' cap

Injector Pump.jpg

Yep thats it, the dipstick on mine looks identical. 

Its only about 2" long, and the oil it is dipping will (or should be!) clean and clear, the colour of honey. Quite hard to see on the diptstick actually. Not black and filthy like the main engine dipstick oil.

• Greenie 1

Yes, the blue knob lower left looks like a dipstick. It should just pull out.

The triangular plate is where a fuel lift pump would be mounted.

The two hexagonal plugs either end  at the top are the pump bleed screws.

The blue knob at the front, above the water pump, is for draining the brass fuel pulsation damper.

N

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, BEngo said:

The blue knob at the front, above the water pump, is for draining the brass fuel pulsation damper.

N

You don't do Private work by any chance?

Thank so much for all the info, my notes are getting longer and longer. 🙂 

When you remove the injector pump dipstick, have a look at the oil viscosity. With ours, diesel leakage diluted the oil a little from time to time. I used a large syringe and pipe to extract it then refill with fresh oil. Good luck! Happy to chat if it helps, you have my number.

• Greenie 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help everyone.

The injector pump did have diesel mixed with oil, so out came my trusty vacuum device and out it all came.

Filled up with the recommended oil, and i will monitor it over the next few runs to see how bad the leak is.

On 01/08/2023 at 08:27, BEngo said:

N

Can i ask what the purpose of the "Pulsation Damper' and should i do anything with it when starting up.

The pulsation damper is a bit like an accumulator on a water system, but without needing to be inflated.  The engine will run perfectly well without it.  Mine does.

You don't need to do anything at start up.  About once a year or so turn the diesel tap off,  open the drain at the base and empty it.  Close the tap and **turn the diesel back  on.***

At shut down include it in your look round for leaks and general wipe over..  Some folk like to polish them.  I find polishing anything on the engine makes it sulk, or run on one cylinder, or smoke excessively or produce unusual noises.  Therefore I avoid it as far as practicable..

N

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, BEngo said:

The pulsation damper is a bit like an accumulator on a water system, but without needing to be inflated.  The engine will run perfectly well without it.  Mine does.

You don't need to do anything at start up.  About once a year or so turn the diesel tap off,  open the drain at the base and empty it.  Close the tap and **turn the diesel back  on.***

At shut down include it in your look round for leaks and general wipe over..  Some folk like to polish them.  I find polishing anything on the engine makes it sulk, or run on one cylinder, or smoke excessively or produce unusual noises.  Therefore I avoid it as far as practicable..

N

Thanks for that. I was using it to top up the governor to save having a small jug at hand with diesel in it. 

The Copper and Brass keeps screaming out at me to 'Clean Me' Clean me Now'. 🙂 

Being a sad person, i am looking forward to detailing the engine as it was the main reason for me choosing her.

We took her out for a run on Sunday and boy was i impressed.

She ran at just above a fast tickover, and kept at 3 mph at ease. 

Will take a little getting use to the two wheels but just have to remember to think ahead.

Just need to source a small chimney, in readiness for my trip down to Derby.

1 hour ago, Floaty Me Boaty said:

. I was using it to top up the governor to save having a small jug at hand with diesel in it. 

The easiest way to top off the governor is to start the engine, get it on diesel and open one injector drain.  It will run OK on the other cylinders.  If you are using a lot of diesel in the governor check the glands on the input shaft and the control shaft and tighten as necessary (a fiddle).

If you have a cast iron governor also look at  the hole where the connection to the fuel pump rack emerges. Diesel can emerge here when you shut the throttle quickly.  There is not much you can do without bushing the governor housing.

If needed, re-packing the input shaft is much easier with the governor on the bench.

N

• Greenie 1