5g internet and antenna setup

Adam1991

Featured Posts

Hi, we’re trying to get to the bottom of our internet issue (sorry to add another 5g thread as I’ve seen there’s loads). 

We have a three 5 g router (pictured) it has 4 ts9 connectors which we’ve been advised are for a 5g antenna. 

We didn’t realise when we got the router that this may be a connectivity issue as 5g in the U.K. relies on 4g. 

Will the likes of a poynting 4x4 Mimo antenna work to supply 4g and 5g to the router? 

Or should we downgrade to a 4g router? 

we don’t want to mod it as it’s a contract device. 

any help appreciated. 
cheers! 

IMG_5113.png

4 hours ago, Adam Mc Gowan said:

Hi, we’re trying to get to the bottom of our internet issue (sorry to add another 5g thread as I’ve seen there’s loads). 

We have a three 5 g router (pictured) it has 4 ts9 connectors which we’ve been advised are for a 5g antenna. 

We didn’t realise when we got the router that this may be a connectivity issue as 5g in the U.K. relies on 4g. 

Will the likes of a poynting 4x4 Mimo antenna work to supply 4g and 5g to the router? 

Or should we downgrade to a 4g router? 

we don’t want to mod it as it’s a contract device. 

any help appreciated. 
cheers! 

IMG_5113.png

If you want to use an external antenna, you need to connect all four ports so you either need 2 2x2 MIMO antennae or one 4x4 MIMO one. I have the same router from the same supplier which means it's not on contract -- is yours from Three?

The Poynting 4x4 antenna will certainly work but the gain isn't very high, especially if the cables to the router are long (e.g. 5m) because these are lossy.

Don't connect thicker antenna cables direct to the TS9 connectors because any stress can damage them, use short flexible TS9-SMA adapter cables and tape these down to the case.

Edited by IanD

Hi Ian, thank you for your advice! Yes it is the one on contract with Three. We’re still in the first 30 days and we’re advised that the router wont really work well on a boat due to 5g relying on 4g to work (We’re clueless about off grid internet!) 

When you say the gain isn’t very high is it still a usable and decent internet connection? We’re not using it for more than the average user. 

Also can I ask what your antenna set up is with that router? 

cheers! Adam

I have just started a 24 month contract with Three with the same router. It's on the boat, plonked in a not particularly good position, and I'm getting 5G fine almost all the time, (globe light on top is blue). If it can't get 5G, it reverts to 4G, ( globe is green). No antenna so far.

What I'm trying to say is that you don't need a 4G router as you already have one.

I have a 4G Pynting antenna fitted for my previous Huawei router, but I think you need a different 5G antenna for 5G.

There is a video on YouTube where T9 pigtails are fitted and taped firmly to a router. The other ends are SMA.

21 hours ago, Adam Mc Gowan said:

Hi Ian, thank you for your advice! Yes it is the one on contract with Three. We’re still in the first 30 days and we’re advised that the router wont really work well on a boat due to 5g relying on 4g to work (We’re clueless about off grid internet!) 

When you say the gain isn’t very high is it still a usable and decent internet connection? We’re not using it for more than the average user. 

Also can I ask what your antenna set up is with that router? 

cheers! Adam

I'm using a Panorama Sharkfin 4x4 MIMO 5G antenna which for some reason is expensive and difficult to find in the UK (even though they're a UK company!), but it's mounted on the roof right above where the router is inside so total cable length is only 80cm including 30cm pigtails. It's got about 5dB more gain than the Poynting antennas plus another few dB from the shorter cables. Photo shows it on the roof, on port side. But still not tried in anger since the boat isn't in the water yet... 😉

16 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I have just started a 24 month contract with Three with the same router. It's on the boat, plonked in a not particularly good position, and I'm getting 5G fine almost all the time, (globe light on top is blue). If it can't get 5G, it reverts to 4G, ( globe is green). No antenna so far.

What I'm trying to say is that you don't need a 4G router as you already have one.

I have a 4G Pynting antenna fitted for my previous Huawei router, but I think you need a different 5G antenna for 5G.

There is a video on YouTube where T9 pigtails are fitted and taped firmly to a router. The other ends are SMA.

Exactly what I did, the TS9 connectors on the router are fragile and lots of people have damaged them by directly attaching antenna cables to them.

roof_vent_antenna.jpg

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1