Rear crankshaft oil seal 1500

Mikexx

Featured Posts

I have an engine that hasn't been run for years. It's fairly clean but has been subject to lots of "training use" and so things may not be quite as they seem.

Since the sump had to be replaced I checked the bearings and came to the conclusion they looked serviceable, so put everything back. Just as well I looked as the mains were loose as well as other things like the oil pump bolts.

In order to release the rear-most bearing I took the rear plate off. There wasn't a seal, just a flinger like disk coming out of the crank that looked as if it ran in a groove by the end plate.

I recall that some use this method of retaining oil, but on looking up on the subject some had proper oil seals and have heard felt pads mentioned?

Without taking everything apart again, is there a way of knowing what type of 'seal' I should have at the rear?

1 hour ago, Mikexx said:

I have an engine that hasn't been run for years. It's fairly clean but has been subject to lots of "training use" and so things may not be quite as they seem.

Since the sump had to be replaced I checked the bearings and came to the conclusion they looked serviceable, so put everything back. Just as well I looked as the mains were loose as well as other things like the oil pump bolts.

In order to release the rear-most bearing I took the rear plate off. There wasn't a seal, just a flinger like disk coming out of the crank that looked as if it ran in a groove by the end plate.

I recall that some use this method of retaining oil, but on looking up on the subject some had proper oil seals and have heard felt pads mentioned?

Without taking everything apart again, is there a way of knowing what type of 'seal' I should have at the rear?

I think it depends upon what the engine was originally used for. I am certain an awful lot used a scroll (Archimedes screw) and an oil thrower. From what you say, yours sounds like one of these. No seal of any sort as such.

If you are going in there again, make sure the oil drain drilling in the bottom of the oil thrower "groove" are clear. Never overfill with oil and, although unlikely in a narrowboat, never install it at a greter angle than in the manual.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 30/08/2023 at 09:33, Tracy D'arth said:

It must be a very old 1.5D block if it has an oil slinger on the rear. How about a picture?

I have lots of other things to do, hence the time taken to provide a photo. You can see the rear bearing cap join in the photo and I would say there is no room for a seal anyway. Any more detail would require the sump to be removed again as well as the bearing cap.

IMG_20231010_220951.jpg