Stafford Riverway Link/Stafford Branch

Featured Posts

The Stafford Link is an important development for boaters providing access to Stafford and forms the third chapter in the navigation, The first being the original private link that replaced the plateway from RADFORD BRIDGE, the second where Matthew Frost improved the navigation for the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal.

272760.jpg.9134d546a81cbec3b52792216f38ca30.jpg

This section is from the 1836 Ordnance Survey that shows the junction with the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal at St Thomas and the river navigation along the Penk and the Sowe into Stafford where there was a coal merchants wharf and basin. The detail of the Junction at St Thomas is seen on the Ordnance Survey for 1880, There was an aqueduct over a brook course before St Thomas Lock.

272761.jpg

The support of the Titanic Brewery for this project may be of interest to Forum members

Edited by Heartland

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

The Stafford Link is an important development for boaters providing access to Stafford and forms the third chapter in the navigation, The first being the original private link that replaced the plateway from RADFORD BRIDGE, the second where Matthew Frost improved the navigation for the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal.

272760.jpg.9134d546a81cbec3b52792216f38ca30.jpg

This section is from the 1836 Ordnance Survey that shows the junction with the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal at St Thomas and the river navigation along the Penk and the Sowe into Stafford where there was a coal merchants wharf and basin. The detail of the Junction at St Thomas is seen on the Ordnance Survey for 1880, There was an aqueduct over a brook course before St Thomas Lock.

272761.jpg

The support of the Titanic Brewery for this project may be of interest to Forum members

That’s interesting, I assumed that it dropped down into the first river then turned back, I did wonder where the aqueduct came into it. Thanks for an informative post 

18 hours ago, SteveCourty said:

That’s interesting, I assumed that it dropped down into the first river then turned back, I did wonder where the aqueduct came into it. Thanks for an informative post 

The remains of what you refer to as a wall are what remains of the towpath bridge over the junction.