Planning a Grand Union Trip. Advice for Navigation

WB Merseybeat

Featured Posts

Hi All, I will try to be concise as I can be before getting to questions.

My wife and I are planing a year out cruising to celebrate our 50th birthdays, starting in July. We are currently on the Nene and will do that and the mid levels and Great Ouse before craning out from Northampton to the GU at Weedon. We have lived aboard for two years and I have done boating and been around canal boats since I was a child (painfully long ago!) so we know our way around most boat management and locks etc. We are having an extensive solar array fitted in April (thank you Malone Electrical!)

We aim to go up to Leamington Spa for a few weeks before heading down to the Thames and up to Oxford, then reversing our route, dropping on to the Kennet and Avon  and heading to Bath and Bristol.

So… to the question…

1. We are on a 10ft wide by 60ft baby Eurocruiser. Will it fit and is it ‘doable’? (We are aware we will need to book tunnel access)

2. What advice would you give to us going in?

3. Who do we need to wave at/say hello to?

Thank you in advance for the hive mind wisdom

23 minutes ago, James Ayton said:

Hi All, I will try to be concise as I can be before getting to questions.

My wife and I are planing a year out cruising to celebrate our 50th birthdays, starting in July. We are currently on the Nene and will do that and the mid levels and Great Ouse before craning out from Northampton to the GU at Weedon. We have lived aboard for two years and I have done boating and been around canal boats since I was a child (painfully long ago!) so we know our way around most boat management and locks etc. We are having an extensive solar array fitted in April (thank you Malone Electrical!)

We aim to go up to Leamington Spa for a few weeks before heading down to the Thames and up to Oxford, then reversing our route, dropping on to the Kennet and Avon  and heading to Bath and Bristol.

So… to the question…

1. We are on a 10ft wide by 60ft baby Eurocruiser. Will it fit and is it ‘doable’? (We are aware we will need to book tunnel access)

2. What advice would you give to us going in?

3. Who do we need to wave at/say hello to?

Thank you in advance for the hive mind wisdom

The only real size issue with most of the Anglian Waterways is height. If you can do the low bridge at Oundle you're probably OK for the two low bridges on the Middle Levels at Upwell/Outwell as they're not arched either. (You'll also be too big for a couple of side trips on the lodes off the Great Ouse, but I wouldn't say they were unmissable!)

No problems at all with the Thames and K&A or the GU that I can think of. 

Some beautiful waterways. Enjoy.

4 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

The only real size issue with most of the Anglian Waterways is height. If you can do the low bridge at Oundle you're probably OK for the two low bridges on the Middle Levels at Upwell/Outwell as they're not arched either. (You'll also be too big for a couple of side trips on the lodes off the Great Ouse, but I wouldn't say they were unmissable!)

No problems at all with the Thames and K&A or the GU that I can think of. 

Some beautiful waterways. Enjoy.

Thank you, what I was hoping to hear in terms of navigation. We did the Oundle  bridge last year so we can squeeze under that with the satellite dome removed and rear canvas folded. 

The width of the GU which catches widebeams out is just less than 12'6" at Stockton (below Warwicks Fly). There has been some work done to the underwater section here this year.

You could probably get all the way up to camp hill with just 10 feet, although after Knowle it is desperate for dredging.

Where are you getting craned out in Northampton, wasnt aware of a lifting pad(or do you mean Billing)??

Oh, and if its Tuckeys, let me know and I will drone film you getting lifted in at Weedon.

Edited by matty40s

I'm sure it is doable and won't be a problem but Braunston tunnel could be interesting I think depending on the height and width of the wheelhouse area of the boat. Straight down the middle is not all that easy. I'd be tempted, bearing in mind nobody will ne coming the other way, to light it up very well from just in front of the helm position to help with the steering. 

ETA I am assuming it is one of these 

207723_0fafb9f0fb0c32f599ae8fe2159c9301.

If its a normal wide beam canal boat then no worries.