Alde Compact 3010 central heating

Featured Posts

Bit of a weird one this...

I've got an Alde Compact 3010 central heating system and everything was fine until a few days ago. Suddenly the 240V icon isn't showing on the panel, so it's running off 12v and not heating. Eventually, I managed to find the power for the 3010 unit and power it off and on. Voila! The 240v icon reappeared and I thought all was good. Nope. Tried the central heating and initially it worked fine and I could feel the radiators heating up. After a while the 240v icon went out and the central heating radiators of course went cold. Ah, I'll just power it off an on again. Nope. No 240v icon this time. Checked the two fuses in the top panel of the unit and they're fine. Even unplugged and plugged the panel just to reboot it. Still no 240v icon.

Any ideas for what else I could check? The unit is definitely getting 240v. Checked the cable with a non-contact meter and it's definitely live.

Could well be one or both of the relays on the circuit board. Do you hear a click at all when you select the 240v heater?

Otherwise,  check the feed switch on your 240v distribution panel, if the boiler has been used a lot recently, it could be failing/failed now.

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Could well be one or both of the relays on the circuit board. Do you hear a click at all when you select the 240v heater?

Otherwise,  check the feed switch on your 240v distribution panel, if the boiler has been used a lot recently, it could be failing/failed now.

The unit does seem to work otherwise. I can select to heat with gas and that works. I can turn it on (12v as 240v isn't recognised) and that works (but doesn't have enough oomph to heat). I can hear things turning on and off.

2 hours ago, ronnietucker said:

Any ideas for what else I could check?

Yes. The manual!

Most boiler manuals have a fault-tracing flow chart which will pin down the fault for you. Failing that, ring Alde for technical advice. 

Having said that, older Alde manuals are pretty sketchy IIRC. 

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yes. The manual!

Most boiler manuals have a fault-tracing flow chart which will pin down the fault for you. Failing that, ring Alde for technical advice. 

Having said that, older Alde manuals are pretty sketchy IIRC. 

The manuals for the 3010 are just basic stuff. Even the service manual I found for it was a bit sketchy.

Tried phoning alde today but they're shut (for the holidays I assume). Oh well.

5 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

The manuals for the 3010 are just basic stuff. Even the service manual I found for it was a bit sketchy.

Tried phoning alde today but they're shut (for the holidays I assume). Oh well.

Just downloaded it and i see what you mean! 

Call them on Tuesday. The more technical support calls they get, the more likely they are to properly document their products.

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

I would seriously check the 240v RCD switch if it's got a dedicated one, for possible failure( cheap replacement possibly available tommorow), otherwise it's one of the relays.

Well yes, I imagine the OP has checked there really is 230Vac present on the mains input terminals. If there isn't, this might just possibly explain why the 230V icon is not present...

20 minutes ago, MtB said:

Well yes, I imagine the OP has checked there really is 230Vac present on the mains input terminals. If there isn't, this might just possibly explain why the 230V icon is not present...

Yep. Checked the cable into the unit. Previous owner/fitter has it going to a plug socket. Yes, socket is working, and the plug fuse is good.

6 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Yep. Checked the cable into the unit. Previous owner/fitter has it going to a plug socket. Yes, socket is working, and the plug fuse is good.

Never mind all that. Fault-tracing is all about eliminating the unlikely. Are you saying you have not actually put a pair of multimeter probes on the 230Vac input terminals and measured the input voltage while the 230Vac icon is not showing? 

If not, its time to do this now. Just to rule out the very unlikely, ok?! 

32 minutes ago, MtB said:

Never mind all that. Fault-tracing is all about eliminating the unlikely. Are you saying you have not actually put a pair of multimeter probes on the 230Vac input terminals and measured the input voltage while the 230Vac icon is not showing? 

If not, its time to do this now. Just to rule out the very unlikely, ok?! 

I don't think I can get anywhere to put the meter on the unit without taking it apart??

• Love 1