Cilling & Sinking

RichardH

Featured Posts

This may sound a bit of a strange request but as part of our instruction manual we want to show our customers what can happen if you don't take care with locks.

Does anyone have any photos they can mail me showing boats which have sunk due to cilling or catching their bow on the gates.

I'm not scaremongering but concerned that with a 58ft boat potentially venturing on to the Calder and Hebble people need to be acutely aware of the risks.

Cheers

Richard

This may sound a bit of a strange request but as part of our instruction manual we want to show our customers what can happen if you don't take care with locks.

Does anyone have any photos they can mail me showing boats which have sunk due to cilling or catching their bow on the gates.

I'm not scaremongering but concerned that with a 58ft boat potentially venturing on to the Calder and Hebble people need to be acutely aware of the risks.

Cheers

Richard

Horrific case from a few years ago - worst I've heard of:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/154575.stm

JOTW

Cheers

Richard

If you contact the Bath Chronicle, they should be able to supply you with several, It happens with boring frequency on the K& Bath flight.

Hi Richard,

Are you APCO registered yet (apco.org.uk)? They can certainly give helpful advice with regards to the handbook, as well as courses that you'll need to take to do the handover to guests.

Thanks for that - I was pursuing BMF membership and in truth was not aware of APCO.

The major problem with giving this kind of advice and guidance:-

Whenever anyone makes a clear statement on the lines of DO NOT PLACE YOUR BOAT ABOVE OR NEAR THE SILL. Someone will rapidly follow that up by saying.

Thats all very well and good advice but ....................

As a general rule that is valid except when ................

I always follow that guidance unless ............

Yes everyone should comply but there are exceptions to every rule.

Yes we have all seen photo's of those exceptions.

The major problem with giving this kind of advice and guidance:-

Whenever anyone makes a clear statement on the lines of DO NOT PLACE YOUR BOAT ABOVE OR NEAR THE SILL. Someone will rapidly follow that up by saying.

Thats all very well and good advice but ....................

As a general rule that is valid except when ................

I always follow that guidance unless ............

Yes everyone should comply but there are exceptions to every rule.

Yes we have all seen photo's of those exceptions.

I've never seen a photo of a bow hung up on a cill.