Winding at Stoke Bruerne

RAB

Featured Posts

Anyone know the max length that can turn at the water point outside the Boat Inn (opposite the museum) at the top of the locks (assuming no boats mored at the water point or opposite). It's not marked as turning point but I will be coming through the tunnel and staying the night before turning round. Rather than reversing back it would be nice to wind here and fill with water. 

As always many thanks in advance.

Edited by RAB

I concur with 60 ft. We turned a hire boat which the yard claimed was 65 ft right up against the locks. OC Domestic had the bow hard against the bank and overhanging into the pub tables and I had to lift the tipcat and fold the rudder hard against the stop to get it round. The clearance was an inch or so. We knew it was going to be close but not quite that close. I had visions of wedging and making a complete twit of myself as the obligatory crowd was watching. Almost looked like we knew what we were doing in the end. 😄

1 hour ago, sueb said:

58' is doable

Well yes, anything from 60' down is doable - done it frequently in our old 60' boat. Although I don't think the skipper on Indian Chief is too happy when he comes flying back from a trip and wants to spin his boat round and moor outside the pub without ANY delay.