Statesman Legacy issue

RickS

Featured Posts

Don't laugh, but I've had the cooker for a while and haven't used the oven yet, just the hob!

My issue is two fold - first, I can't figure out where to put the batteries for the ignition knob (have been using a flexible neck light for the hob)

Second, I can't figure out where to light the oven with the lighter thingy - ideally I suppose \I would use the ignition button, but, as I say, I can't figure out where to put the batteries.

I have got the grill to light, but that's a bit more obvious.

I'm happy to use the lighter for the oven - and, of course, it's useful to know where to apply the flame if the batteries die - but should at least know \i can use the ignition button.

The manual is useless, and there seems to very little information, other than the manual, online. You would think it would be in the manual, but no.

Any help would be gratefully received 

Can't help you with battery ignition other than to say they often take 2 x D cells. So suggest you pull it out and see if there is a cover hiding the battery compartment round the back.

In terms of manual ignition, I would shine a light at the bottom of the oven.  On some ovens you might need to lift out the bottom tray/cover thing to get at the actual burner. Typically you need to push in or hold the oven knob in the 'light' position and then wave your igniter near the burner. Look for a thermocouple probe thing that's usually were the gas may start to come out. 

Do be careful not to gas yourself or take your eyebrows off....

Hi, We had this cooker on our previous boat. The battery is located on the plinth on the front of the cooker, beneath the storage compartment under the oven , there is a removable battery cover, near the floor. I think it’s a AA battery - lasts for years! 

The oven flame is actually underneath the floor of the oven, can’t imagine it would be easy to light with a gas lighter. 

We found the oven burnt everything low down and the cooker released a lot of heat, possibly not the best quality but there isn’t much choice for that width. Hope you find the battery 🙂 

Edited by Spuyten Duyvel
  • Greenie 1

Jonathan, Spuyten, thank you for your replies.

I found the battery holder after your post Spuyten, thank you. It was annoyingly obvious when I Knew where to look 😀 I was convinced I had gone over every inch of the blasted thing with no luck. Anyway, battery fitted and all working. I still think that the manual is appalling, with no mention of the battery, or how to replace it.

After going through every nook and cranny of this cooker, I have to say, despite it working fine, for the not inconsiderable amount of money i paid, it is rather cheaply put together. I suppose limited production runs and a relatively captive market helps push the price up - moan over

Thanks again