Acoustic box

twistymick

Featured Posts

I have a Beta 43 with this enclosure; constructed from powder coated steel. The engine sits within a steel base, sides, pt./stbd. locate with rubber edge seals, which fit well.

A fan extracts air through the enclosure, 221M3/hr at the aft end, through a hose to the hull skin, pt. side. Air inlet fwd end, must be free for this air volume to enter through louvers.

The fan is powered on my boat from 12V DC, from the oil pressure switch, with oil pressure the switch moves over to power the fan. The electrical connection made at the fan by bullet connectors failed, the fan stopped, this was not immediately obvious, by the time I noticed the engine was a bit hot. Fortunately the alternators did not suffer, and I ran with 'tel tale' bits of string tied to the air outlet for some time afterwards.

Access is difficult:

Oil filter, stbd side fwd, is via a removable step cover, once the enclosure side is removed.

Fuel filter access ok.

Engine oil and gearbox oil pumped out via two taps, a 1 lite jug fits under the pump outlet.

Spilt oil, can disappear in the tray to come back later, so cleaning up takes a bit of time. 

Enquire about the supply for the fan, mine is 12 volt, new versions I believe are 230 V 1 phase?

Summary:

Very good installation, engine stays clean, and very effective for noise reduction, I would do this again.

I'm the same as Tractor.

There is a small lid on top of the housing that gives you easy access to check the engine oil and water levels and fill if required. Would need to take the other four parts of the housing off to access the full engine. You may also need to do this should you want to get under the deck to check other stuff. The two end panels are the heaviest and I think the previous owner of my boat screwed on an extra handle to one of them to make lifting out easier. Mine is also fitted with a hospital silencer. People do comment on how quiet the boat is with the engine running.

I had problems with the units cooling fan not working which damaged the regulator on my domestic alternator. Got the regulator replaced and worked out that the fan itself was OK but it was the Teddington oil pressure switch that was at fault - bought a new one from Beta for £76 posted.

I'm the same as Tractor.

There is a small lid on top of the housing that gives you easy access to check the engine oil and water levels and fill if required. Would need to take the other four parts of the housing off to access the full engine. You may also need to do this should you want to get under the deck to check other stuff. The two end panels are the heaviest and I think the previous owner of my boat screwed on an extra handle to one of them to make lifting out easier. Mine is also fitted with a hospital silencer. People do comment on how quiet the boat is with the engine running.

I had problems with the units cooling fan not working which damaged the regulator on my domestic alternator. Got the regulator replaced and worked out that the fan itself was OK but it was the Teddington oil pressure switch that was at fault - bought a new one from Beta for £76 posted.