Stoppage @ Knowle 15/7/22

frangar

Featured Posts

Does anyone know if a paddle was out already or have both failed together??

Notice Alert

Grand Union Canal
Starts At: Lock 48, Knowle Lock 4
Ends At: Lock 48, Knowle Lock 4
Up Stream Winding Hole: Kixley Wharf GU-019-019
Down Stream Winding Hole: Knowle Bottom Lock - GU-020-013 

Saturday 16 July 2022 10:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure 
Reason: Structure failure

Original message:

Both bottom-end paddles are out of action.

Local team will look at resolving this fault at the start of the week - Monday 18th July

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/22797/lock-48-also-known-as-knowle-lock-4

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

Please do not reply to the email. It has been automatically generated.

To unsubscribe from this service please go to: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/my-trust/notices and uncheck the relevant 

Edited by frangar

9 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Looking at the Knowle lockkeeper Twitter account, if looks like the offside paddle failed on Thursday, and now today the other side has failed as well.  So next week before any fix.

Interesting they failed so close together. Wonder if there is a common cause or just age/maintenance….going to be more than a few boats waiting I imagine. 

13 minutes ago, frangar said:

Interesting they failed so close together. Wonder if there is a common cause or just age/maintenance….going to be more than a few boats waiting I imagine. 

You would have thought that the offside one, which was the one that filed first, would have had very little usage, mostly with one boat you just use the towpath side, so it does seem strange it has failed that way round.

Now there is a stoppage notice, for any approaching boats, there is no real reason for most to go that way, just go North Stratford.

6 minutes ago, john6767 said:

You would have thought that the offside one, which was the one that filed first, would have had very little usage, mostly with one boat you just use the towpath side, so it does seem strange it has failed that way round.

Now there is a stoppage notice, for any approaching boats, there is no real reason for most to go that way, just go North Stratford.

Ahhh. Got my flights confused!….was thinking of Stockton for some reason! 

Would be interesting to know what part of the gear has failed. 

54 minutes ago, john6767 said:

At Knowle you can easily walk round both sides and we usually find it easier to work the off side. Actually involves slightly less walking than the towpath side as no disused locks to walk round (unless you've also got a buggy, then the towpath is definitely easier!).

Generally (despite my moaning about them) we generally find Knowle locks in good condition and rarely have a paddle out, so quite surprised to hear about this stoppage.