What difference does the thickness of baseplate make to value?

Old Son

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, Old Son said:

I have reduced the price by 10% because I am aware there will be fewer people wanting a boat with 6mm base plate. I admit I really didn’t give the base plate a thought. It is what it is, it’s all still in excellent condition and a very nice boat. 

I would say that this shows goodwill,  not that I know much about pricing in this instance.

Others would just keep it on the market till another buyer came along.

Edited by LadyG

I have seen your boat on ABNB (i assume) and it looks in excellent condition and I am sure will sell quickly - good luck !  I would think most would buy on condition and age, yours being relatively new compared to many. My boat is now 23 years old but we bought on fit out and clear ongoing maintenance (grit blast, puddle welds, zinc sprayed, two pack) and care taken by the previous owners.

Edited by CV32

Was the OPs base plate built with 6mm steel or was it greater and lost thickness?

It's been posted elsewhere on here that many insurance companies won't insure at less than 4mm, so pitting exceeding 2mm in depth might be of concern if the plate only starts at 6mm.

A 10mm base plate must give lots more confidence to a prospective purchaser as they get a 6mm buffer for corrosion/erosion before they run into problems, whereas a 6mm plate only gives a 2mm buffer.

300% more steel is available to disappear with a 10mm plate than with a 6mm plate, it could last 3x longer all else being equal.

The value of the 'lost' steel is inconsequential compared to the work and expense of over-plating a thin hull (less than 4mm) that eventually proves difficult to sell or insure.