Overplating of swim on the stern

Featured Posts

14 hours ago, BilgePump said:

What? Parents choose to have kids and then absolve themselves of any responsibilities?

Tuition fees are now £9.5k pa alone, on a loan. You, me, and our our peers, weren't loaded with those for a start.

No we weren't, but we did not get paid the sort of money new graduates get nowadays. I had to work through college to earn money for travel, clothes, and books,  I could afford half a pint of beer in the student union six days a week., That was entertainment.

I worked two and a half days per week, plus ten weeks holidays for three years. Yes, I got fees paid, but that was it.

I totally agree with the essence of the post, children don't choose to be born, parents should take responsibility for them, it's their job to turn their kids in to responsible members of the community. I never saw a penny of the money the Govt paid to my father, child allowance tax deductions etc.

I nearly walked out forever when he told me he had paid sixpence for the tomato we were eating, as though it was a bonus!

Edited by LadyG

24 minutes ago, LadyG said:

No we weren't, but we did not get paid the sort of money new graduates get nowadays. I had to work through college to earn money for travel, clothes, and books, I worked two and a half days per week, plus ten weeks holidays for three years. Yes, I got fees paid, but that was it.

I totally agree with the essence of the post, children don't choose to be born, parents should take responsibility for them, it's their job to turn their kids in to responsible members of the community. I never saw a penny of the money the Govt paid to my father, child allowance tax deductions etc.

I nearly walked out forever when he told me he had paid sixpence for the tomato we were eating, as though it was a bonus!

While some new graduates get massive salaries the vast majority don't. Teachers for example are not in the high income bracket. Also given the massive rise in house prices they need to be earning significantly more than the graduates of previous generations to get on the housing ladder, and I don't think they do.

As to booting them out the door on their 18th birthday, if there going to university the value of their maintenance loan (the money to pay rent and living expenses) is partly based on their parents earnings. If you're parents are reasonably well off they are expected to contribute.

1 hour ago, Barneyp said:

As to booting them out the door on their 18th birthday, if there going to university the value of their maintenance loan (the money to pay rent and living expenses) is partly based on their parents earnings. If you're parents are reasonably well off they are expected to contribute.

That was exactly the case with both my two and because I was in a reasonably well paid occupation I was expected |(and happy to) to contribute to their university maintenance etc  with my daughter at University for 5 years and my son for 4 (although in his case he had actually started working but then then decided to become a mature student before he was able to live and look after himself independently.

I do sometimes raise an eyebrow when some children are described as being  "in poverty". With a few exceptions it is the parents who are in poverty, not the children,  until, of course, the adult child becomes independent and take up reasonably well paid  employment.

Howard

2 hours ago, Barneyp said:

While some new graduates get massive salaries the vast majority don't. Teachers for example are not in the high income bracket. Also given the massive rise in house prices they need to be earning significantly more than the graduates of previous generations to get on the housing ladder, and I don't think they do.

So it was in my day, but I got begarall from parent after age seventeen, I expect it's the same today

Totally stumbled across this, perhaps too late, but it's absolutely up my street

1. I lived on a Highbridge in my last year of uni and CCed it, it was bloomin brilliant. Still live on it 4 years later but no longer CC. I bought it myself though, i'd say kick him out and tell him to fend for himself. Student finance exists, get a job to top up the rest, job done. It's what I was determined to do and managed fine (In fact managed to earn enough form a job to buy a boat and pay my rent...)

2. I know the boat in question, nearly bought it myself as opposed to my current replating project. It's a bit thin all over tbh, that's why it's £3.5K.