Solenoid and starter on Barrus Shire 35

Featured Posts

Help! I’m having trouble getting started with my Barrus Shire engine, when turning the key the engine didn’t turn, there wasn’t a click or anything. I knew the starter battery was very old so replaced that, and cleaned any connections I could see back to bright metal. I tapped the side of the starter with a hammer. Still nothing, so thought must be the solenoid/starter motor. How hard is that to get at! I scrunched down and also tried dangling upside down to get a look. I can see the side of the starter, but felt around it and couldn’t find the solenoid, but did find a thin red spade connector unattached to anything. Again I felt around but couldn’t find anything it could attach to.

Can anyone offer any advice? It would be much appreciated 😒

I replaced my starter with a  s13-294, if you search for one of these, suggest ebay, you should find some photos and diagrams that should help.

If it is any use to you I have also replaced the original ignition switch with a 

Durite ignition switch 4 position BG1-0-351-05

This works for the older style panel, not sure about the newer panels 

Edit to add 

I have used these a number of times, excellent company to deal with

https://www.startermotoralternators.co.uk/products/yanmar-3tn-4tn-4tnv-12v-starter-motor-s13-94-s13-332-s13-294?variant=39758415790288&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIysjM_PO99wIVRe7tCh1VEwyzEAQYASABEgLbxPD_BwE

Edited by reg
Additional link info

42 minutes ago, Tuttifruity said:

Help! I’m having trouble getting started with my Barrus Shire engine, when turning the key the engine didn’t turn, there wasn’t a click or anything. I knew the starter battery was very old so replaced that, and cleaned any connections I could see back to bright metal. I tapped the side of the starter with a hammer. Still nothing, so thought must be the solenoid/starter motor. How hard is that to get at! I scrunched down and also tried dangling upside down to get a look. I can see the side of the starter, but felt around it and couldn’t find the solenoid, but did find a thin red spade connector unattached to anything. Again I felt around but couldn’t find anything it could attach to.

Can anyone offer any advice? It would be much appreciated 😒

This sounds like diagnosis by substitution which is potentially a very expensive and inefficient way to do it. You need to conduct a logical testing sequence.

If the thin red connector has  a female blade on the end of it  then it may well be the solenoid energizing cable from the ignition switch so look at the switch and see if it has a similar wire on a single blade. If so put a test lamp or voltmeter set to 12v  between the blade down near the starter and any negative. Turn the key to start. If the bulb lights or the meter jumps up to battery voltage then it has probably fallen off the solenoid. I was not aware that Barrus "hid" the starter like Beta seem to but if it is obscured I fear you need a torch and mirror to locate it.

If the red wire is not the solenoid energizing cable then do the warning lamps and instruments come on. If not there is probably a fuse that supplies the engine electrics has blown. If they do then you really need to get a look at the solenoid..

I think some Jap. starters may have the solenoid connection on the side of the motor body but I am not very sure about that.

I have been trying to find some decent images of the 35, without much luck, to see why you have problems seeing the starter & solenoid. From what I could find it looks as if on the base engine the starter and solenoid are readily visible but Barrus may have obscured them with the domestic alternator and the exhaust manifold. The starter seems to be a very conventional one with the solenoid mounted on to of the actual motor. I think it may well be a light and mirror job. If that red wire is off the solenoid it should fit on a single (usually) 6mm blade close to but slightly a way from the main 12V pos. cable connections.

If you have no instruments and earning lamps it might be the feed for the engine electrics, in which case there should be a small blade as part of the main positive connection on the solenoid.

5 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

but Barrus may have obscured them with the domestic alternator and the exhaust manifold

Not sure which Barrus  the op is referring too but they all seem to be much the same setup. It is pretty much as you have deduced in that the manifold and its jacket sit above the starter and do make it a little difficult to both  see and  access the starter.

images-orbitvu-RNLS13-294-images-a_0_1_683_0_0.jpg.7a2dea8d6579a95ac1324cc155c90287.jpgimages-orbitvu-RNLS13-294-images-a_0_9_683_0_0.jpg.83d252541532f99167b932e2ebcddb9a.jpgimages-orbitvu-RNLS13-294-images-a_0_4_683_0_0.jpg.ecadcad190e234f6e22576e669e96140.jpg

Edited by reg
Missed the ref to 35 in the ops header

5 minutes ago, reg said:

Not sure which Barrus  the op is referring too but they all seem to be much the same setup. The 42 is much as you have deduced in that the manifold and its jacket sit above the starter and do make it a little difficult to both  see and  access the starter.

images-orbitvu-RNLS13-294-images-a_0_9_683_0_0.jpg.83d252541532f99167b932e2ebcddb9a.jpg

Thanks, he says it is a 35. The OP can see the small solenoid energize blade at roughly 2 o'clock on this diagram. Luckily it seems to be located to make it easier to get at than the main positive.