Thankyou everyone for advice

moggyjo

Featured Posts

Thankyou everyone for advice on my pump. I found the leak thismorning 3 of the fittings had rattled loose!!! Have bailed out about 20 gallons of water so far have to wait for the water to run through the ballast to the back as the leak was right by the front. The only thing that I can think made this happen is the vibration from running the engine so much and maybe because I used the push on fittings did not help, Thanks again. Wendy :rolleyes:

Glad to know you got it sorted in the end...

We had exactly the same problem as you.... well okay, not exactly. Our problem was due to the pump vibrating far too much as it wasn't screwed down that well and the two bits of plastic joining each other didn't have any form of gasket. I beleive this is a common problem on the type of pump we have... forgot the name though.

My Dad woke up one morning and found that the water was coming up through the bathroom floor towards the back end of the boat. Lucky it couldn't run all the way to the back as the engine room bulkhead was stopping this. We managed to eventually pump all of the water out, and we fixed the pump by replacing the screw with a small nut and bolt arrangement, including some sealant to ask as a gasket. It's fine now, and as it's properly secured is far quieter and doesn't wake you up during the night with the random short pumping.

Hi Wendy, Glad youfound the leak................

One thing you must check is that the pressure relief valve on the calorfier is working. When you heat a tankfull of cold water it expands a lot !!!!! This increases the pressure in the whole of your pipework ( Hot and cold pipes ) The valve is there to release this pressure. If you are worried about the valve not working it is a good thing just to run the water every 20mins or so while the water heats up. This will relieve the pressure. Once the water is hot there is no need to do this.

Over time with a relief valve that has not been working the pipe joints will have slowly been pushed apart and then started leaking.

Best wishes Patrick.