Battery chargers

SarahB

Featured Posts

Hi everyone - seeing there's a topic about batteries I thought I'd ask something too!

I have a battery charger that although does the job (or so I think!) when my batteries were really flat I had to borrow a "booster" charger from the marina... The difference that made to them charging - how charged and how quickly - was amazing.

If I were to ask Santa for one for Christmas (along with my additions to my tool box!) I wondered what sort of budget would be needed? And where to get one? And what sort comes with recommendations?

I run off 24v not 12v if that makes any difference?

Thanks

Sarah

What sort of charger do you currently have and are you on shore power? Also are your batteries the sealed maintenence-free type or wet lead/acid?

If you have shore power, modern 4 stage chargers are very good, the cheapest of the good ones are probably the Sterling Pro-Digital Range.

These are the 15 & 25amp Sterling 24v chargers:

http://www.yachtbits.com/sterling_power/st...er_supplies.php

http://www.yachtbits.com/sterling_power/st...ery_charger.php

Unfortunately this 24v range is quite a bit more expensive than the 12v equivalent, but if you have shore power (and thus an unlimited time to charge) the 15 amp charger would be fine.

These can be left on 24 hours a day for months or years and all you have to do is switch them off every couple of months to check & top up your batteries.

They really do make life easier and they keep your batteries in good condition (providing they aren't already knackered).

I asked about your battery type because if you only want to charge your domestic bank and if they happen to be the sealed type, you could get away with a much cheaper Sterling Pro-Budget charger which does the same thing but only charges at 14.4v maximum

http://www.yachtbits.com/sterling_power/st...ry_chargers.php

Edited by blackrose

I now know that I know very little about a lot :P

I've no idea what sort of batteries I've got, in fact I'm not sure even what to look for! Please can I have the beginners answer to looking at batteries and I'll go investigating.

I'm shocked at how much the expensive ones were - more than I'd want anyone to spend on me so either I have to save like mad or see if I can do with the cheaper version. I am on shoreline so fingers crossed that is an option for me.

I think my next investment should be a notebook to start putting all this useful information in!

All I really know is my small battery charger has been well used in it's life and it's a mkII - I can just about make out "Max...." but that's about it. My batteries have been charging for about 2 hours and are at 4 amps. Again I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad?

Sorry for all the really daft questions (and answers I seem to be providing!!)

S

It should be noted that there is similar equipment available at comparable prices direct from the manufacturer, thus cutting out the chaps with sticky labels and their cut

From Sterling or are you talking about another manufacturer?

Some people seem lucky enough to get discounts from Sterling but I didn't and their online shop is more expensive than the website I pasted the link to earlier.

https://sslrelay.com/s74222713.oneandonesho...ndex.shopscript

Edited by blackrose

From Sterling or are you talking about another manufacturer?

Some people seem lucky enough to get discounts from Sterling but I didn't and their online shop is more expensive than the website I pasted the link to earlier.

https://sslrelay.com/s74222713.oneandonesho...ndex.shopscript

It would be inappropriate to comment on individual re-badging operations.

I now know that I know very little about a lot :P

I've no idea what sort of batteries I've got, in fact I'm not sure even what to look for! Please can I have the beginners answer to looking at batteries and I'll go investigating.

I am no expert but it sounds like your charger and/or batteries might be knackered.

You can check whether the batteries are sealed or not by using a big plain screwdriver to try to take off one of the 6 plastic caps on each battery that have a cross on them. If they start to unscrew fairly easily they're not sealed and you should have been topping them up from time to time. When you do this try not to touch any of the battery terminals with the screwdriver in case you short it out on another metal part like the inside of the boat. If they're wet lead/acid and you want to top them up switch off your charger, use distilled water and top them up til the level is just above the lead plates inside. You'll need a torch & it might be an idea to wear some eye protection.

If your batteries are knackered you could still get away with putting a 4 stage charger on them as long as it has powerpack mode . What this basically does is to use mains power to run your 24v DC system. Therefore it doesn't really matter if your batteries are shot while you're on shore power. I'm sorry but I'm not sure if the Sterling Pro-Budget range have that feature (though I suspect not).

Edited by blackrose

Sarah if your into ebay link reconditiond chargers here, might grab yourself a bargin!

Now that's a brilliant idea - I'll be sending my brother the link for him to have chats with Santa!! Actually he's the kind of brother that knows stuff so as long as I can give him the requirements he'll be happy.

Now I've read the top two on the link it says the 15amp says suitable for a 25ft boat - I won't ask if that means if I need two :P

Cheers

S

Now that's a brilliant idea - I'll be sending my brother the link for him to have chats with Santa!! Actually he's the kind of brother that knows stuff so as long as I can give him the requirements he'll be happy.

Now I've read the top two on the link it says the 15amp says suitable for a 25ft boat - I won't ask if that means if I need two :D

Cheers

S

That 15amp charger would suit you fine. (And no, you don't need one for each 25ft of boat :P )

If they're wet lead/acid and you want to top them up switch off your charger, use distilled water and top them up til the level is just above the lead plates inside. You'll need a torch & it might be an idea to wear some eye protection.

That sounds v familiar so I'm thinking I have wet lead/acid. Now I'll just borrow a neighbour to get them to supervise my first attempt.

If your batteries are knackered you could still get away with putting a 4 stage charger on them as long as it has powerpack mode . What this basically does is to use mains power to run your 24v DC system. Therefore it doesn't really matter if your batteries are shot while you're on shore power. I'm sorry but I'm not sure if the Sterling Pro-Budget range have that feature (though I suspect not).

Cheers I'll add that to my wish list!

S

(edited cos my editing missed out some of my reply!)

Edited by SarahB

It would be inappropriate to comment on individual re-badging operations.

hmm..... I feel that the statement by Sterling that they are a 'producer' of power products may be a little misleading. It would be interesting to know the actual involvement of Sterling in the 'production process' for many of their products.