70´long 12´wide River Ouse to Rochdale?????

philandiz

Featured Posts

0.00 Start out at York,York B1227 0.00

0.18 Continue forward onto Micklegate Micklegate 0.18

0.24 Continue forward onto the A1036 A1036 0.42

0.01 At traffic signals turn right (signposted Bypass, Leeds, Harrogate, Thirsk) A1036 0.42

0.33 Continue forward (signposted Bypass, Leeds A64) A1036 0.75

1.45 At roundabout take the 2nd exit onto the A1036 A1036 2.20

0.57 Continue forward, then merge onto the A64 A64 2.77

10.75 Leave the A64 at junction 45, then merge onto the A1(M) (signposted The South, Leeds, M1, M62, A1(M), Manchester) A1(M) 13.53

3.03 At Junction 44 continue forward onto the M1 (signposted London, Leeds)

M1 16.56

9.21 Continue forward, then join the M1 motorway M1 25.77

1.22 Leave the M1 at junction 42, then join the M62 motorway (signposted Manchester)

M62 27.00

6.72 IKEA Leeds - Jct 27 M62 33.72

3.37 Leave the M62 at junction 26, then at roundabout take the 2nd exit onto the A638 (signposted Dewsbury, A638) A638 37.09

0.44 Turn right onto Bradford Road Bradford Road 37.54

0.01 Turn right onto the A638 A638 37.54

0.05 At roundabout take the 2nd exit onto the A58 (signposted Halifax, A58) A58 37.59

6.28 At roundabout take the 2nd exit onto the A58 A58 43.87

0.07 Travelodge (Halifax) A58 43.94

1.21 At traffic signals turn right onto the A646 (signposted Burnley) A646 45.15

6.45 Turn right onto Hope Street Hope Street 51.60

0.01 Arrive at Hebden Bridge,Calderdale

Or in other words, road is the only way......

Unless you are seaworthy, ie Dutch Barge etc, then you could (if you have the time) go up the coast out of the Humber estuary stopping along the way of course, to The Great Glen in Scotland (ie Loch Ness, etc) then through The Caledonian Canal, and down the West coast of Scotland and North West England to Liverpool, entering the Leeds Liverpool Canal at The Port of Liverpool whose locks are 72 foot x 14 foot to Wigan. Turn Right at Wigan down the Leigh Branch which becomes the Bridgewater Canal at Leigh, then turn left at Waters' Meet towards Manchester City Centre and on to the Rochdale Canal (if it's open again) and then over the pennines to Hebden Bridge.

You can get by water to just past Stanley ferry so if you really wanted to, you could arrange to be craned out at Stanley Ferry then dropped in at Sowerby Bridge, which would save on Road Transport costs, but you'd still have craneage at each end.

You would then have the waterways of The North West at your disposal, you could do The Rochdale, Bridgewater, Upper Trent and Mersey to just this side of Middlewich (tunnel height permitting I think the Dutton Stop lock is 12 foot wide) and Leeds Liverpool to Liverpool via Wigan, and if you were feeling brave, you could cross the Mersey on to The Manchester Ship Canal and the upper Shropshire Union as far as Nantwich which is very beautiful and I think allows up to 12 foot, and the River Weaver (you'd need a certificate of seaworthyness for The Ship Canal).

If you pick the right day, you could go out of Liverpool and up to The Ribble via sea and enter The Ribble Link to explore The Lancaster Canal including the locks to Glasson Dock which are 72 foot x 14 foot.

As it is you can travel to Leeds, Stanley Ferry, Sawley Cut, Lincoln and beyond, Ripon, you have a large cruising area now, is it that you are moving over here or do you just fancy something new? I know the Hebden Bridge valley is very pretty.

Edited by GRPCruiserman

Thanks everyone..we are hoping to move here (on the Rochdale).

Can anyone recomend a crainage compàny..I like the idea of being dropped near Sowerby Bridge..

any ideas of cost? Do you need BW permission to get craned in?

As long as you are appropriately licenced you do not need BW permission to be dropped in anywhere.

However, you DO need the permission of the land owner who's land your (rented/hired) crane is standing on, which may of course be BW. You will also need a permenant mooring of course.

I would check on transport (lorry) costs for various craneage points first then check with the cranage point land owners to check out their charges. I've not used Stanley ferry for a few years but he may even have a crane there, not sure, and you could check Naburn Marine, or even some of the wharves on the tidal Ouse below Naburn.

There is a wharf at Sowerby Bridge which in itself should take a crane but the access is a bit slopey, and I'm not sure who owns it now, may be worth checking with the hire base that operates from there. Check the length of the locks above the wharf as well as they are actually on the Calder and Hebble I think, The Rochdale starting at the new deep lock above, but I could be wrong.

You could also ask the supermarkets in Sowerby Bridge if you can use their car parks perhaps when they are closed, I'd ask the local manager as he/she may be more flexible than the corporate head offices of these places.

I think there is still a wharf in Hebden Bridge but I can't remember what the access is like.

Not sure on cranage costs, never had a boat big enough to need a crane!! I remember Chris Miller of Preston doing much reduced rates to transport narrow boats on and off The Lancaster to Preston Dock before they built The Ribble Link which included cranage at both ends for a couple of hundred pounds, but he owns the lorries and the crane, so if you can find a firm that owns all the gear you may get a reduced rate. Perhaps others can advise better than me.

I must say again, I love that valley and have visited many times by car, but never been by boat, probably wont now as doesn't really lend itself to day boating!!

Good luck anyway.

Edited by GRPCruiserman

Thanks everyone..we are hoping to move here (on the Rochdale).

Can anyone recomend a crainage compàny..I like the idea of being dropped near Sowerby Bridge..

any ideas of cost? Do you need BW permission to get craned in?

If you want to be put in near Hebden Bridge - contact Pickwell & Arnold. There just up the road at Todmorden. They're building dutch barges all the time. I'm pretty sure they put them in at Hebden bridge as they can't get crane access to the canal at their works. If you time it right, you could share the crane costs at that end.

They also arrange haulage of their boats so they may be a ble to assist with the lorry?

http://www.pickwellandarnold.co.uk/contact_1.htm

Edited by I want a 'proper job'

Can anyone recomend a crainage compàny

Give Ray Bowern a ring at Streethay Wharf on the Coventry Canal. He will probably give you an approx. price over the phone. I've used him several times without any probs. Including a 70ft x 12ft boat from North London to Goole

Edited by rallyfan

Stanley ferry have a crane but is too small to lift a boat the size you are reffering to out of the water. They do however hire a bigger crane when there is enough demand. The Rochdale starts at the right turning as you leave the basin. I am not sure how long the two locks are though, they are probably big enough. Tuel tunnel deep lock is long enough as there is a extra set of gates.

There is a wharf at Sowerby Bridge which in itself should take a crane but the access is a bit slopey, and I'm not sure who owns it now, may be worth checking with the hire base that operates from there. Check the length of the locks above the wharf as well as they are actually on the Calder and Hebble I think, The Rochdale starting at the new deep lock above, but I could be wrong.

The two locks you are referring to are part of the Rochdale Canal, so are the same length as the other Rochdale locks. The Rochdale starts from the junction just below Sowerby Bridge Wharf. The deep lock replaced the original locks 3 and 4. I think BW owns all the wharfs at Sowerby Bridge but you could check with Shire Cruisers, whose hire base is there.

You could also ask the supermarkets in Sowerby Bridge if you can use their car parks perhaps when they are closed, I'd ask the local manager as he/she may be more flexible than the corporate head offices of these places.

I wouldn't leave a car in a supermarket car park for a long time. Safer to park in the wharf area. Plenty of parking, including a small amount inside the gateway through the Salt Warehouse.

I wouldn't leave a car in a supermarket car park for a long time. Safer to park in the wharf area. Plenty of parking, including a small amount inside the gateway through the Salt Warehouse.

I actually meant to crane in from, as I think at least one of them is adjacent to the canal on the offside, but I wouldn't want to leave a car in the supermarket car park for extended lengths of time either, and I echo your comments about the wharf area re parking.