Another death in the Witham.

Supermalc

Featured Posts

Don't know if you've seen the news, but another vehicle, a large van went into the Witham yesterday, and only one of the two occupants managed to swim to the bank.

It was coming along a road at 90degress to the one along the bank, and for some reason didn't stop. Only a few miles from the last tragedy.

There was also a man found close to the Fosse Dyke (I think) in a small tributary.

Don't forget the other poor chap who had a heart attack and fell face forward into the river while fishing just upstream from Bardney Lock.

Just been talking to a friend who was on the scene of the accident. The van was going much too fast and came to the road end abruptly. It landed half way across the river, before almost floating to the other side. Both young men got out, but tried swimming back across the river.

Here's the local paper report

http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/displayN...tentPK=18838890

It's probably twenty years since I saw the Witham anywhere other than in Lincoln or Boston, but I remember the unguarded roads alongside. On a sunny July day when gently cycling great, on a dark night dangerous. What I now know as a safety audit would pick up this sort of thing, but it only applies to NEW road schemes.

Malc, this puts tourists dangling their boats in the locks in Bath into Perspective a bit: two guys going faster than their lights can see probably got one hell of a shock, and one didn't live to tell the tale. Dipped headlights are barely good enough for 50mph, and even full beam is only as good as the driver. 20% of road accidents are in the hours of darkness for a good reason.

Thoughts to families and friends of the deceased

It was daylight.........thoughts are 2 young men in a transit type........could well have been me at that age. Don't judge them, just feel sorry for the relatives of the ones left behind.

Also a lesson. If you are in an accident don't think you will cope........chances are you won't. Firemen who attended was telling my friend it is often the case to find people involved in accidents wandering around aimlessly in fields, not knowing who or where they are.

Don't know if you've seen the news, but another vehicle, a large van went into the Witham yesterday, and only one of the two occupants managed to swim to the bank.

It was coming along a road at 90degress to the one along the bank, and for some reason didn't stop. Only a few miles from the last tragedy.

There was also a man found close to the Fosse Dyke (I think) in a small tributary.

Don't forget the other poor chap who had a heart attack and fell face forward into the river while fishing just upstream from Bardney Lock.

died happy though just sat doin a bit of fishin ideal