Leisure batteries not charging, maybe alternator broken?

Featured Posts

Quite possibly, and is so it complicates things a bit. this is why I said we can't help much more without seeing the back of the alternator.

If it is one  of those then its a Lucas ACR alternator and almost, but not quiet, certainly both large blades are B+ and the small one D+, BUT there were ACRs made that used on of the large blade for battery sensing but I have only seen one from the MOD. If, when one large blade is connected to the battery the other one shows battery voltage with nothing connected to it then both will be B+.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

So the problem resolved iself for a long while, but has now come back - I fiddled with the plug at the back of the alternator and sometimes that made the charging lamp go out, but sometimes not... I suspect there is a loose or shoddy connection somewhere and I am going to try wiring up with ring connectors to the bolts a the back of the alternator. here is a picturte of the back of the alternator and also the block that has the wires in. Its impossible to trace the wires back at the other end as they go into a tube - its would be a fair amount of work to unravel all of that so if I can do without that would be better.

If anyone could let me know what goes where on the alternator that would be brilliant.

Thanks.

Oliver

20211013_103801.jpg.6e599748c0ae7501f79ebc372eb737d7.jpg20211013_103656.jpg.783ad6dd1c00fff590226d8969afb37d.jpg

That multiplug is burnt out, dump it. Connect the 2 thick red wires together into a ring crimp or 2 and connect both to the large B+ terminal.

Connect the thinner red wire to the small spade terminal it was on before, its the warning charge light wire called  D+.

The alternator signal wire goes on the big W terminal.

Ignore and leave empty the 2 large spade terminals that have burnt due to poor contact and too much current.

12 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think Tracy meant the rev counter signal wire (if you have a rev counter, goes to W. If no rev counter simply ignore the W terminal.

Thanks Tony, My mistype The W terminal is the one for the rev counter signal wire.