Ribbed Belts

StephenA

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Just wondering why no-one ever made a ribbed belt kit for the BMC 1.5

I know you'd not want to increase the tension over what is currently there so it doesn't take out any of the bearings but.......

I started to turn one for the crankshaft in BMC engines. Then realised that it is a non starter on 2 counts.

1  The crank pulley has a rubber bonded torsional damper inside without which the crank can fracture.

2  The pulley relies on half the woodruff key which also has to drive the sprocket, it is to weak to take much extra power transfer.

7 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I started to turn one for the crankshaft in BMC engines. Then realised that it is a non starter on 2 counts.

1  The crank pulley has a rubber bonded torsional damper inside without which the crank can fracture.

2  The pulley relies on half the woodruff key which also has to drive the sprocket, it is to weak to take much extra power transfer.

So basically it would be an engine killer even if you kept the alternator load at the same level.