Any idea why my engines won't run ?

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Each tank shall have an inspection hatch with at least 150 mm diameter. The inspection hatch shall, as a rule, be located on top of the tank, but for diesel oil tanks it may also be on the tank side. There shall be access to the inspection hatch when the tank is in position.

For the typical narrow boat integral diesel tank in the back of the counter, an inspection hatch on the top would be on the deck, and one on the side would be either above or alongside the weed hatch.

I don't recall ever seeing a deck inspection hatch on a nb. And one so fitted would be prone to the same water leakage issues as deck level fillers.

A side inspection hatch would be difficult to access, and any imperfection in the seal would mean diesel leaking out and into the stern bilge. And the hatch could only be opened when the tank is empty or almost empty. And on refitting you would only know if the seal wasn't fuel tight once you had refilled the tank with a couple of hundred litres of diesel, by which time it would be too late to remove the hatch for resealing.

Despite what the RCD says, do all (or indeed many at all) post 1998 narrowboats have a fuel tank inspection hatch?

8 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Despite what the RCD says, do all (or indeed many at all) post 1998 narrowboats have a fuel tank inspection hatch?

I have not viewed even a  small percentage of RCD built NBs so I am unable to answer the question.

In an earlier answer (come back post numbers) Bee did say that is what his NB had, so, maybe with a bit of planning anf forethought it can be done.

20 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have not viewed even a  small percentage of RCD built NBs so I am unable to answer the question.

In an earlier answer (come back post numbers) Bee did say that is what his NB had, so, maybe with a bit of planning anf forethought it can be done.

Ah, not a narrowboat, its a mid engined Dutch tug with the fuel tank amidships and I can get to the top where the 'lid' is. Narrowboats  do indeed usually have their tanks in the counter but the last two if mine (years ago) I had built I put in on the top of the swim, cost a bit more but a better place to put them. To just blank off the rudder tube and top of the uxter is another example of lazy 'boatbuilding'

• Greenie 1