Manchester canals

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

That's pretty much what Shire Cruisers are suggesting.  

I'd already made the assumption that it would probably be Sunday morning but it would have been nice to get a flying start.

The way things are going on the Rochdale with stoppages etc though I'm not taking it for granted we'll get through to Sowerby Bridge.  This is the down side of hiring, when you have to keep to a schedule.

So you're going Ashton to Sowerby via the Rochdale? I was assuming you were going via the HNC...

53 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

That's pretty much what Shire Cruisers are suggesting.  

I'd already made the assumption that it would probably be Sunday morning but it would have been nice to get a flying start.

The way things are going on the Rochdale with stoppages etc though I'm not taking it for granted we'll get through to Sowerby Bridge.  This is the down side of hiring, when you have to keep to a schedule.

I would either do the half hour run to Droylsden Marina, you can tie up in the marina overnight and there is shopping and a nice little bar called the silly country five minutes walk away, or its a couple of hours and six locks up the Huddersfield to Stalybridge. You can wind above lock 7W either in the evening or the morning after. Lots of boats moor in the square or near Tescos, and have a wander up to the Crafty Pint and Bridge beers on Melbourne street, the pedestrianised road just below lock 6W

1 hour ago, IanD said:

So you're going Ashton to Sowerby via the Rochdale? I was assuming you were going via the HNC...

Pay attention at the back there...

31 minutes ago, captain birdseye said:

I would either do the half hour run to Droylsden Marina, you can tie up in the marina overnight and there is shopping and a nice little bar called the silly country five minutes walk away, or its a couple of hours and six locks up the Huddersfield to Stalybridge. You can wind above lock 7W either in the evening or the morning after. Lots of boats moor in the square or near Tescos, and have a wander up to the Crafty Pint and Bridge beers on Melbourne street, the pedestrianised road just below lock 6W

Yes - I hadn't really considered that but the OH does like doing locks, so killing time up and down the Peak Forest might not appeal, and it's been a while since we last went to Stalybridge, good thinking.