Grand Union dimensions

bristol & argo

Featured Posts

I was just flicking around Waterscape, and the

waterways dimentions document

shows the Grand Union from Berko to Braunston and Braunston to Camp Hill is only 7 foot beam!!,

I know there is a temporary restriction due to the landslip at the end of braunston Tunnel, but i thought the only restriction was bridge holes near Blue Lias at 12 foot 6 inches.

Simon.

Those are the maximum recommended sizes not that maximum that will physically fit: BW allow broad beam north of Berkhamstead but two broad beams meeting each other is said to be a bit tight and of course you need to book through the tunnels.

I think the Leeds and Liverpool Shortboat Arthur got to Birmingham in the 1970's?

Those are the maximum recommended sizes not that maximum that will physically fit: BW allow broad beam north of Berkhamstead but two broad beams meeting each other is said to be a bit tight and of course you need to book through the tunnels.

I think the Leeds and Liverpool Shortboat Arthur got to Birmingham in the 1970's?

Err, the document states 'Maximum Dimensions', so it is wrong. :cheers:

evidenced by the Slough arm stated as 14 foot beam, where the channel has only been dredged to narrow dims so two wide beams would have even more trouble passing than on the GU! :cheers:

The definitive document is BW site waterway dimensions :cheers:

So what is the trouble with just posting the facts, rather than some fiction, unless BW are going to use it as an excuse for not clearing the landslip. :lol:

Simon.

Edited to say - remember you heard it here first! , there are a few barges thet head up to Braunston for the winter, so they are going to be a bit miffed.

Edited by bristol & argo

It was thwarted by the low arch bridge at Blue Lias,....

And had it got through there the next bridge down at Shop Lock, a few hundred yards further on is too narrow for a breasted pair so would likely have been the journey's end for Arthur.

strangely this one

Link removed as there is a better one below from bottle:

That I took from the BW site, has the dimensions correct

The one you linked to was created in August 2003 for consultation by Eugene ( right click when open )

the one in bottles link below is dated October 2005 :cheers:

Julian

Edited by idleness

If Idleness download is no longer available, it is available at BW Craft dimensions

Note it gives the max dimensions for craft on any particular canal, not the max dimensions of the canal.

Thats good, thats an updated version (October 2005) of the one that I have.

Saved locally

Dont you just love sites that are not locked down!

J

Edited by idleness