Silver blacking

Featured Posts

4  years ago Densie was blacked with 2-pack.  Since then the colour has steadily got lighter and now the hull is a white/silver colour though it's black when wet.  Is this normal? Is this a problem?  The coating looks solid with no signs of rust and minimal rubbing.  The only downside is that I have had comments to the effect that it looks like it isnt cared-for. Do people normally cover their 2-pack with regular blacking?

Many thanks for any thoughts/comments or suggestions.

20 minutes ago, NBDensie said:

4  years ago Densie was blacked with 2-pack.  Since then the colour has steadily got lighter and now the hull is a white/silver colour though it's black when wet.  Is this normal? Is this a problem?  The coating looks solid with no signs of rust and minimal rubbing.  The only downside is that I have had comments to the effect that it looks like it isnt cared-for. Do people normally cover their 2-pack with regular blacking?

Many thanks for any thoughts/comments or suggestions.

Perfectly normal. The degree of bleaching depends on the brand used.

If you cover it with "regular blacking" by which I assume you mean a bitumen like product, how will you recoat with epoxy 2 pack when you need to, in maybe 6 to 10 years time?

I had a similar problem with two pack Jotun used on the hull in dark green,  and above the water line it is now far too light a green and looks rather sickly!  I was advised by the paint tech at SML that I could go over with an even darker green top coat https://www.smlmarinepaints.co.uk/topcoats/single_pack/pioner-topcoat  and from the BS colour range deep bronze green.  It needs little preparation, so I intend to give it a try, just as soon as it stops raining each day! 

edit to add:  if you know the name of the two pack used give them a ring at SML to ask if this single pack top coat will suit your paint just to be sure. 

Edited by Chagall

The paint below Bee's waterline is epoxy and at the moment is a sort of copper colour. The fish laugh at it as it is uncool and the mussels quite like it as it doesn't taste of coal tar. The paint above the WL is bitumen, I don't think it is legal anymore but it is much, much better than black gloss paint that I used once. If I were you I would slap some sort of bitumen paint on the hull above the waterline, cheap and effective.