Is a narrow boat holiday now just a pipe dream ?

pomkitanner

Featured Posts

40 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

So you dont have a boat either? The point of course is you do actually know the point I was making.

Some people have very narrow perspectives on what constitutes 'living'.

Does it matter? I thought you thought it didn't. Though I've had a boat for thirty years, if it does. But I don't live on it. See? All very simple. Nor do I go wafting pointlessly round the world, wasting energy, resources and money.

I've always thought life was about having fun, preferably not at anyone else's expense, but we're all different. Luckily, my hobby ended up as my living, which was nice, though I did have to do a bit if real work too in order to keep the tub afloat.

For most of history, holidays were unknown, and still are to most people. A sense of perspective and a knowlege of history are good to have in current circumstances, especially if you have kids and want them, and their kids, to also have an enjoyable life. But then, perhaps you don't care about that, as your posts seem to focus purely on what you yourself want.

Anyway, this is all pointless, so I'm off to make the tea.

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Does it matter? I thought you thought it didn't. Though I've had a boat for thirty years, if it does. But I don't live on it. See? All very simple. Nor do I go wafting pointlessly round the world, wasting energy, resources and money.

I've always thought life was about having fun, preferably not at anyone else's expense, but we're all different. Luckily, my hobby ended up as my living, which was nice, though I did have to do a bit if real work too in order to keep the tub afloat.

For most of history, holidays were unknown, and still are to most people. A sense of perspective and a knowlege of history are good to have in current circumstances, especially if you have kids and want them, and their kids, to also have an enjoyable life. But then, perhaps you don't care about that, as your posts seem to focus purely on what you yourself want.

Anyway, this is all pointless, so I'm off to make the tea.

Right so you do have a boat.

The relevance of that is not about what you seem to think it is. You have missed the point by a country mile.

But as you are off making tea and think there is no point then I'll leave you wallow in your narrow horizened ignorance.

4 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Forgive me if I resist the temptation to respond with a detailed response.

Suffice to say I've heard it all before. I will however not be bounced into buying an electric vehicle when I have a perfectly serviceable diesel one nor will I be ripping out my stove anytime soon, I take it you have removed yours? and converted your boat to electric? Untill you have go forth and lecture somebody else. 

At least @peterboat can talk from a more principled perspective when he tries to convert us.

I would never advocate scrapping perfectly good cars or boats with diesels/petrol  engines in them. I sold my low hours diesel engine to Pierre in France, my cars now are all electric but the old ones were sold on.

We still have a VW t25 camper it's a diesel and I run it on biodiesel, the engine is a modern one I fitted with emissions control equipment fitted. My boat is heated by a Rayburn Royal running on anthracite and well seasoned wood, I also have a bubble stove that runs on biodiesel, I am far from perfect but I try to protect the environment, that is what we should all try to do.

• Greenie 2

To those who answered my question , thank you.  

As a postscript , i care very much for my grandchildren and hope to introduce them to the land of my birth before i am unable to do so, hopefully including a narrow boat trip. 

Sanctimonious comments dont sit overly well. 

If you use a car a lot, it's probably environmentally sound to trade it in for an electric one. If, like me, you hardly use the car at all, the best thing for the environment is to keep the one you have, and use trains and buses when it's practical. 

My annual thousand or two miles of emissions from a relatively modest and efficient diesel car are much less than the pollution resting from manufacturing a new one, besides which, somebody else would buy and use my old car too.

As for my few hundred hours of diesel use on the boat, that's a lot better than flying to the other side of the world.

1 minute ago, pomkitanner said:

To those who answered my question , thank you.  

As a postscript , i care very much for my grandchildren and hope to introduce them to the land of my birth before i am unable to do so, hopefully including a narrow boat trip. 

Sanctimonious comments dont sit overly well. 

Opinions expressed aren't sanctimonious just because you happen to disagree with them. It's just the way topic drift works. 

• Greenie 1