Calling London boaters

Ruth B

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, jtylr said:

Not a trailer... I won’t be moving 20 sheets at a time, but bike is rated to 70kg although becomes a bit of a pig to ride once you get up to 50kg. 

I spent 6 tedious years working in New Delhi - your photos reminded me of one of our expat staff who set himself a target of taking 100 photos of bikes being used for different purposes.  The most amazing one was a bike being pushed with 8 empty oil barrels tied to the crossbar, stabilised by the handlebars.   ...................  but this guy managed even better.

Indian-man-on-bike-with-barrels.jpg

The school bus is even better:

school bus.jpg

of course those 2 examples don't really count 'cos they're trikes.

Edited by Murflynn

On 31/03/2021 at 22:30, magnetman said:

I'm wondering how long it is going to take for living on towpaths to be regulated out of existence. 

Maybe it will never happen but I can't help thinking such an amazing bargain can't last. 

It will be odd to see what happens with all the boats which have been built specifically because it is possible currently to live in London, including some very "desirable" areas, for under £1000 a year ie CRT licensing cost. 

No council tax, no nonsense just good old fashioned cheap living. No wonder so many £100k+ wide beam canal boats have turned up in the last decade !

It almost seems to good to be true but it is true. 

It will not last, The sheer cost of providing services by councils to these London towpath moorers is of increasing concern to councils with large numbers of these moorers in their areas on the Regent canal and the lower river Lee. The law will change to allow charging of council tax on these moorers. This may well be by charging the tax on the boat rather than the mooring as is the case now.

I just had my two council tax bills in.  

My home in Arne, Dorset (Band D) £2072.40

My berth in Foxes, March (Band A, Second home rate) £2706.38

Fenland have charged me £900 more than I pay Foxes, since they now charge double for second homes which is what they class my mooring as. I'm now looking for new moorings

On 31/03/2021 at 18:40, jtylr said:

Permanent mooring - Nope

Mains - Nope. Need to switch my track, mitre saw and router for 18v. 

Transport - Cargo bike (Omnium). 

Considerate - I’ll find quiet spots to moor, my bicycles make it easy to collect supplies. I’ll work within the usual regs for the trades, checking with neighbours if they would prefer later start or early finish, I’m not in a huge rush. I’ll inside the cabin or on the deck when possible. Perhaps I could even help them out with a few bits of woodwork, lend some tools out, or do a beer/shopping run on my bike.

Thanks for your concern.

Never ever lend anything, it will either never be seen again or tested to destruction, far better to go and do it for them, DAMHIK.