Sailaway or Self fitted Sailaway

anthony

Featured Posts

What i cant work out is where does the crane come from Liverpool or the mariner?

Thanks.

The crane belongs to the Thames & Kennet marina in Reading. Because NBC are have a branch there and use the crane often, I imagine they get a very favourable rate.

Edited by blackrose

Im trying to work out some additional costs against getting the builder to do the work.

How much in material would this lot cost us?

Wire tails installed 12 volt and 240 volt

12 volt distribution box with 10 breakers connected to 12v wire tails and tails to 12v supply & 240 volt distribution box connected to 240v tails in cabin then to 240 volt hook –up plug.

Im assuming whats left is to fit our choice of plug sockets and light fittings which can cost as much as whatever we want to spend on those.The of course face those into the wall panels .

Im trying to work out some additional costs against getting the builder to do the work.

How much in material would this lot cost us?

Wire tails installed 12 volt and 240 volt

12 volt distribution box with 10 breakers connected to 12v wire tails and tails to 12v supply & 240 volt distribution box connected to 240v tails in cabin then to 240 volt hook –up plug.

Im assuming whats left is to fit our choice of plug sockets and light fittings which can cost as much as whatever we want to spend on those.The of course face those into the wall panels .

You fail to mention if you need a complete mains hook-up installation. I assume you do. I would allow:

Incoming shoreline hook-up plug £10

Incoming RCBO £40

Mains breaker distribution panel with polarity indicator £80

DC fused distribution panel £60 - do you really need DC breakers?

Battery and earthing cables including crimped terminals £40

Galvanic isolator or isolating transformer? £60 to £200

Domestic battery box? £20

Domestic batteries? £200

Domestic battery switch? £30

DC distribution cables £40

Mains distribution cables £20

Sundries - terminals, special tools, conduits, tester?, clips, cable markers, allow £100.

my prices can easily be checked at Screwfix for mains items, at Vehicle Wiring Products for general DC items and at Aquafax or similar for DC and mains panels.

Many thanks for that Chris very helpfull.

What exactly do you mean by complete mains hook up and what is an RCBO short for?

Thanks again.

I'm sure you are aware of the safety requirements for installing mains on a boat. If not then you should find out. You do not just wire into the mains panel.

RCBO is a double pole main breaker isolating switch with a 30mA residual current device (trip).

I'm sure you are aware of the safety requirements for installing mains on a boat. If not then you should find out. You do not just wire into the mains panel.

RCBO is a double pole main breaker isolating switch with a 30mA residual current device (trip).

Good advice Chris and when it comes to electrics other than running a cable and attaching fittings my knowledge finishes there. If your numbers are anything to go by for a few hundred pounds more I could have the boat builder do the electrics to the level of spec you are talking about and save myself possibly a lot of grief and a dangerous mistake.

Good advice Chris and when it comes to electrics other than running a cable and attaching fittings my knowledge finishes there. If your numbers are anything to go by for a few hundred pounds more I could have the boat builder do the electrics to the level of spec you are talking about and save myself possibly a lot of grief and a dangerous mistake.

You could save yourself a lot of hassle by getting the builder to do all the work involving the RCD (Recreational Craft Directive) and to CE mark the boat for you. Little if any of the actual fit out comes under the RCD so your involvement in compliance and paperwork would be next to none and the boat will also not need a BSS certificate.

It could also make the boat a more attractive prospect to finance companies either during your purchase or a further into the future if you sell.

Edited by Gary Peacock

You could save yourself a lot of hassle by getting the builder to do all the work involving the RCD (Recreational Craft Directive) and to CE mark the boat for you. Little if any of the actual fit out comes under the RCD so your involvement in compliance and paperwork would be next to none and the boat will also not need a BSS certificate.

It could also make the boat a more attractive prospect to finance companies either during your purchase or a further into the future if you sell.

What would that extra work be Gary if you dont mind telling me?

There is no finance company involved though.

Thanks.

I think the way I would look at the project would be to evaluate your skills and be honest with the tasks within your capabilities.

Any task that will require a professional is going to cost you materials & labour, if you can diy and get the materials at the same price as the professional your cost should be cheaper.

If you identify tasks you cannot perform that can be incorporated by the hull supplier I would get them to do it. If the identified tasks outside your skills are things that will crop up later eg (gas installation) then you have no alternative than to source a contractor as and when required.

It is good you are costing the project as this will give you an idea of what you will achieve within your budget, and I think it safe to assume if you consider your labour as free, then diy will generally be cheaper than paying a third party to do it, if however you earn a very high wage, and its an option, you might be better putting the extra hours in at work rather than down the boat yard as your time could generate an income in excess of the contracts bill on an hour for hour basis.

I would take the final cost and look at what that will buy on the secondhand market, consider all the reasons for doing it and decide the route to take.

What would that extra work be Gary if you dont mind telling me?

There is no finance company involved though.

Thanks.

The main physical tasks are electrics and gas plus a lot of paperwork.

There are a few more odds and ends but most of those are very simple water plumbing doesn't really come into it so that makes life easier, the paperwork for a production builder will largely be stock and on hand so is not an excuse to charge the earth to produce.

Remember at the sailaway stage two thirds of the RCD paperwork needs to be already completed by the builder legally the remainder shouldn't be that much more of a stress.

If you build one offs like we do then it is a bit more involved then just firing up the photocopier! :cheers: