Mysterious noise

XLD

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

Many years ago in a different life,I was flying with a friend in a wood and fabric aeroplane ( a Jodel ) and on short final approach to Hucknall airfield ( Near Nottingham) over a golf course,there was a bang and a shudder from the aeroplane.

On landing a rip and hole was found in the rudder and a golf ball inside.

It was duly reported to the Civil Aviation Authority and was noted with the comment that depending on which side the ball hit it may have had right of way!

In the early 70s I did some gliding, one day someone took off on an aerotow not realising his airbrakes were open, after the tug struggled to climb and waggled his wings in a failed attempt to signal the problem, the glider released early and headed back, still not realising his brakes were open he landed short and mid turn at 70+mph in a field of ripe corn, the bang from the impact was really loud from third of a mile away. It had been stopped in its own length by the corn, and the skin had acted like a massive drum, no damage or pilot injury whatsoever, but on dismantling the fuselage was found to be packed full of ears of corn, a perfect flying harvester. 

Edited by nb Innisfree

On 29/12/2020 at 11:57, nb Innisfree said:

It did actually jolt my head quite a bit! 

I live a few miles from Salisbury, absolutely love the place, on approaching its nice to see there's no high rise buildings and the cathedral standing unchallenged. 

What's the waters like in Salisbury? Is that the Avon? Are there many marinas...