Rust buildup - Morso

Jackhare

Featured Posts

Hello

Sadly i cannot upload a picture due to the file size.

I had a leaking chimney which is now fixed but it has left me with some rusting on the top plate around the collar.  I'm thinking wire brush, sanding and then putting on an application of paint.  Just wondering what peoples general recommendations are, particularly regarding the type of paint i should be looking at?

I'm hoping to paint it tomorrow morning and then it will have a couple of days drying time before i restart the fire.

The stove is a black multi fuel standard Morso (can't remember the exact make).

Many thanks.

You really should dismantle the collar and treat under it or the rust will just come back, and will also crack the collar.  Then Wire brush, fertan if it is badly pitted , new rope then paint with something heat resisting.  I use Rustins but there is a genuine Morso product which costs an arm and a leg. Heat resisting black can be had in gloss, satin or matt.

Sperex also do high temperature aerosols if you fancy a change from black.

N

12 minutes ago, Jackhare said:

Hello

Sadly i cannot upload a picture due to the file size.

I had a leaking chimney which is now fixed but it has left me with some rusting on the top plate around the collar.  I'm thinking wire brush, sanding and then putting on an application of paint.  Just wondering what peoples general recommendations are, particularly regarding the type of paint i should be looking at?

I'm hoping to paint it tomorrow morning and then it will have a couple of days drying time before i restart the fire.

The stove is a black multi fuel standard Morso (can't remember the exact make).

Many thanks.

An angle grinder with a cup brush will be better than a hand wire brush. You will need very very VHT paint. I'd just keep rubbing stove blacking onto it thoroghly.