2nd water tank

LJ101LJ

Featured Posts

I have recently bought a boat the the water tank is a little smaller than what I'm used too.

I want to add a second water tank so I'm not worried about running out and having to be overly frugal all the time. However I'm unsure on the best way to add it. I realise that under my bed is the perfect space to put it but how would I connect it to the main water tank? 

Or perhaps I could just put it on the roof and have a hose going from it into the original water tank, what the original one runs out. 

Has anyone else done this I'm struggling to find any information.

Cheers

Thanks for your reply. Yes it is a narrow boat. It is a good idea and good use of space however it involves playing round with the gas pipes. And doesn't solve the problem of getting the water from the new tank to the original tank. 

Just putting a water tank on top of the boat is easy as you gravity would make it easy to use a hose to fill us the OG water tank. 

Low down is better than on the roof. A roof location puts a lot of weight high up, 1kg for every litre, which can make the boat less stable.

A friend did have a second water tank on his boat for a while and they were arranged like this:

Both tanks need a vent pipe in to the top to let air in and out as they fill and empty. The two tanks are then connected together by pipes at the bottom. The connection pipe is a steady run, with no ups and downs. If the base of the two tanks are on different levels, then the pipe is a gradient between the two. The water pump is connected to the lowest level of the two tanks. The fill point needs to be above the highest point of the highest tank, but can be on either tank. Both vent pipe outlets need to be above the fill point. Do all that and it should work fine and act as a single large tank.

Alternatively, have two separate tanks, with separate fill points and vents and have a changeove valve between them and the pump. Empty one, then changeover the valve and empty the other.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies